Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Call of the Wild

I lay on the grass, dog beside me, looking up at the infinite sky through gaps from the willowy tree branches. At this moment it's easy to notice the tree reaching its arms towards the heavens and I wonder if all creation knows of the far away world that we are all destined for.  Streaks of sunshine make their way downward and heaven and earth dance together to the chorus the frogs and the crickets sing.  For a moment I'm left pondering, how can people not believe in you Papa - You created all of this irreplicable beauty with the utmost care simply for our enjoyment!  My dog moves reminding me of his presence, I run my fingers through his wiry fur, one more reason to be thankful. 

Nature's take on love

My loyal companion and the YAMs

Nature calls us daily, "come immerse yourself in me, I was created for you."  But in the bustling of city noises, of too many errands, too much work, too many worries... We become blinded and our eyes and beings trained to dismiss the natural splendor.  


Our Hike Inauguration

 At Peters Canyon this past Saturday, boy it was hot!

Perhaps that is why my friend felt the need to add a monthly event to our young adult ministry in which we take the time to honor His creation by immersing ourselves in it... Once a month, on a Saturday we get up early and begin our day with mass and a two hour plus  hike. It's a moment I have learned to treasure... Even my little brown wolf enjoys tagging along, and I must comment that for his senior status (ssh! don't tell him, he believes himself to be a young pup) he keeps up better than some of us humans (smile).


Afternoon at Griffith Park (horses, goofing around, and a beautiful sunset)


Funny how becoming a believer changes your entire life philosophy, I became aware of my smallness.  As a great man once said,  "there is no way in which a man can earn a star or deserve a sunset."




Ridge Park Road in Newport Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment