Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My World Vision Girls

In July of 2010 I went to "Women of Faith" at the Anaheim Convention Center.  It's a two-day event that goes on yearly designed specially for women.  My Christian friend invited me to go with her and  while I don't recall many details of the event, I do recall being set-up with, Wajifa, my first sponsor child from Bangladesh.  During one of the breaks the audience was advised to look underneath their seats, I thought we were getting a prize, and excitedly followed directions only to find a small, yellow folder with a picture of the cutest, little girl (who resembled my nephew) and all her information inside.  A fifteen minute video played on the score board  detailing the need and the benefits of sponsoring a child.  Two women told their World Vision testimonies and at the end of each testimony the sponsors met their children in the countries that their sponsor children were located.  While the video was rather moving, what got me was the folder with Wajifa's picture & bio.  I couldn't return it, God had placed her there for me, I had to sponsor her.
For the next two-and -a-half-years I got to get to know Wajifa.  When I sponsored her she was an only child, six-years-old, not in school and her dad was having difficult providing for the family...  
 Wajifa's Letter in Bengali

Translated Letter

For the next two-years I was present for her kindergarten graduation, beginning of elementary schooling, for the birth of her baby brother and I even was able to buy her a goat for Christmas!  The goat she loved because it was her pet and a way to get milk daily. With my 35 dollar monthly contribution World vision was able to provide, schooling, uniforms, medical care, job training for her parents and even some chickens!  I also paid a whole twenty dollars to provide a birthday party for Wajifa every year.
  
My Christmas Card on the corner from Wajifa, flowers drawn by her

The best part was corresponding.  I made it a goal to write to her monthly and sent her small little gifts that I could fit in a 4 X 8 manila envelope along with my letters.  With a food vacuum I got creative and even sent her dresses, shirts, undergarments, socks, school supplies... To every letter I sent I got one back in return. Though she was too young to write, she sent me colorful drawings she drew, while a World Vision helper would write the letters that were then translated to English. Twice a year  I would get a full report on her along  with a picture of my growing, beautiful child. 
Wearing pink & black dress I sent her

The reason I have spoken of Wajifa in past tense is because a few months ago she stopped being my sponsor child.  Her dad had to relocate for work and moved his entire family to a different location in Bangladesh (that is not serviced by World Vision).  I was very disappointed to end our relationship (I still pray for her nightly), but soon after, I got another little girl assigned, Saria.  I have yet to write to Saria, but am excited to start building our friendship, after all God placed her in my path too...
My new Baby Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment