Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY: Journaling



During the 6th grade I came across a journal with a lock and key at Pic’N’Save. I was mesmerized by the sheer fact that it could be locked! I stamped: “PRIVATE! KEEP OUT!” And I wrote a forward (for those who made it passed the lock); "If you are reading this I must be long, gone and you should destroy this before reading any further or a wicked spell will be cast upon you and you shall turn into a flea!!!” I was very melodramatic back then (wink). However, that pink diary began my passion for documenting life.

Today I have quite a few journals (mostly gifts from friends) so many that I don’t think I will ever need to buy another!
You can see my Dog sleeping in the corner, he's always nearby


Some people take pictures, some draw others write - I create vignettes of my life in my journals. I never expected anyone to read them, nor would I ever want anyone to. It wasn't until 2005 that I started directing my scribbles to God, since then my journals are open conversations with my creator.


The inside cover of my art Journal
Art Journal 

I prefer an 8 ½ by 11 ¾, college ruled, with a sturdy cover notebook which I keep at home. The one I am currently using is a vintage journal that was given to me.

I use magazines, scrapbooking cut-outs, paint, sharpies, glue, color pencils—art supplies. When I am feeling artsy I create the artwork on the pages and then on days I feel inspired I write my entries.

Travel Journal 
When I travel or go on weekend retreats I use my travel journal. This is a compact, sturdy college ruled notebook. I usually take a couple of books, my journal, pens and a coloring set to doodle. I journal a lot when I travel because many times I am waiting in airports, car rides or hotel rooms. I noticed that a lot of the most interesting pieces have been created while on vacation. It also helps keep details of trips fresh and capture eureka moments right when they happen. 

Adoration Journal

I have weekly hour dates with Jesus. Every Monday for an hour I am present during adoration at my parish. Writing helps me focus on my conversation with God and my prayers. I usually come in say hello, read the Bible, write my prayers wait in silence for His voice, and then begin my week. I have noticed that putting ink to paper has improved my quality time with Jesus because I am able to focus my thoughts better.
Of course all of my entries are written as letters to God, which motivates me to get creative because He is reading.












No comments:

Post a Comment