Monday, August 5, 2013

Gone Shopping…


In December of 2004, I went shopping for a church.  I knew what I was looking for: One, I could still be me;  Two, I could still keep my brain (meaning no brain washing for me); Three, I could still keep the typical college party lifestyle  that up until then I had had.   I knew that I didn’t want to become an ignorant, delusional, close minded, superficial person with an “am holier than thou” mentality. I didn’t want to wear long skirts with shirts two sizes too big… I just didn’t want to be Voltaire’s usual subject of mockery.

For the next three years I went to different denominations (of Christian) churches as part of my journey.  I had one motive in mind; to make sure that all were selling the same moral compass to live one’s life by.  So, for the next three years I attended:
 
 Saint Judas Thaddeus Old Catholic Church

 
Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa,

 
Saddleback Church,


 
and the Crystal Cathedral,

finally finding my home (in 2007) in the good, old, Catholic Church.
I don’t like bad talking any one of my Christian brothers, I simply chose the Catholic Church as my one-and-only because the Eucharist called me home.  I learned a great deal in my quest(for example, Godly  churches aren't in the business of selling anything) and am thankful that I was able to experience the many ways people worship our Creator and gain respect and tolerance for all of my brothers & sisters. 

The thing I was most afraid of was change and change did occur, but slowly at a pace that I could (and can) keep up with.  So, I say take your faith seriously; but, one-day-at-a-time and God will lead you to the place He wants you at and to the place where He wants you to grow roots and mature into an authentic image of Jesus. Finally, you will still be you, and the type of follower you become will always be your choice after all God gave us free will.
 
 "If all Christians acted like Christ, the whole world would be Christian."

4 comments:

  1. Change is sometimes difficult. However I'm a big believer in change is good and it's important to be open minded because you never know what this new change may bring. So glad you have found the right place for you to share your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made my day, thanks for always accepting me and always encuraging me! I didn't know if it was you, but now I know!!! You are the Bestest Pal EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's one thing i love about you! you never "forced" anyone to believe, or felt that you are superior/holier than the nonbelievers. that makes things a lot less intimidating for those around you and I wholeheartedly respect that characteristic from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your too sweet my friend, thank you!

    ReplyDelete