Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hallows Eve Reflections

Yesterday my nephew and I did our annual October activities.  We carved pumpkins and evangelized our candy for Halloween night.  As usual we read the Pumpkin Gospel, you might recall from last year the book uses the process of carving a pumpkin to illustrate how God throughout our lives challenges and helps us to become people of light, of joy - sons and daughters of God.  Lately, I have been in a very contemplative mood trying to sort some things that at times give me more pain than joy, trying to figure out the course of action and trying to truly surrender everything to God without picking it back up when I lose patience in the wait.  I know am being rather ambiguous- some things even for me are difficult to find words for.  I think every year around this time I also miss my brother in heaven and my body and mind mourn subconsciously.  Obviously his death has been such a huge loss in my life, but he left me so much goodness that every day through my testimony of life I try to live in a manner that would make him proud- and I rest looking forward to spending eternity with him… He was a really shy, introverted person- I am not even sure if he ever had a girlfriend.   But during those moments of drunken, mariachi talks he bared his soul and asked me to have the courage that he never had to live life without regrets.  He taught me that a “no” is better than a “what if.”  And to this day God has given me the strength to put to action my brother’s education especially during those shattering moments of rejection.  To find rest in knowing the truth as difficult and unwelcomed as it might be, always hopeful that God will provide according to His will.
In matters of two- I always like to examine my role since that’s really the only area in my control.  I don’t like leading people on- that’s one of the reasons I don’t have many guy friends.  I am straight forward and as of recent I have no problem demonstrating that I care, that I am interested because what is a love that hides, that withholds, that lies that fears?  Yet, as transparent as I think I am maybe I send men mixed signals- that’s what I have been wasting my time pondering.  Am I sending the object of affections mixed signals and he’s not getting my clear message (that I am into him and I give him my blessing to pursue me) or is it that he does get them and he’s just not interested?  Serious thoughts overpower me this morning… I guess that the confusion in these heart related matters has to do with our communication styles and what actions make us feel loved - Gary Chapman would attribute these misunderstandings to our love language.  
I have discovered that I tend to love others usually through actions that make me feel loved.  My love language is Quality Time nothing says to me I love you like someone’s full, undivided attention.  Being there for me is critical and quality conversations- revealing things to me about yourself show me that you care. Distractions, postponed dates or failure to listen can be really hurtful and signs that you are not interested in me.  I think if I would rate the five love languages in levels of importance, starting from most significant to least important: quality time, physical touch, acts of service, gifts and words of affirmation would be my order.

I am intense- superficial relationships bore me, even deplete me.  I need substance…  Am not sure how this ranting followed carving pumpkins (smile)…  Life is just short- and after confronting death one learns to value life, to value others and to understand that we are all subjects of time- and time stops for no one.  My hope is that every day – love will guide me and though not everyone will want my love (even when my greatest happiness is to give it) I need to accept those antagonistic wills.  I haven’t been very successful in the romantic side of love, but I have hope that I am getting closer after all everything of value deserves a good ounce of perseverance…  

No comments:

Post a Comment