Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Catholic Socialite

I follow this blog called The Rockabilly Socialite because the blog follows Dolly in her vintage life experiences mostly focusing on the various rockabilly events that she attends.  By reading her blog I have learned a great deal about the 50’s, the commitment and love a group of people have to living true to a past era, and the various events that encourage this classic lifestyle.  As I write this post today- I realize that I am somewhat of a Catholic Socialite (smile).  I am learning more about my faith daily, attempting to live according to my Christian spirituality and attending many events that support my love for God.  A couple years ago I was not ready to shine the spotlight on activities that I am involved because I felt that sharing the various activities that I devote my time needed privacy.  I didn’t want to be one of those believers that displayed areas of my spiritual journey so that others would notice and I would impress them (Matthew 6:18).  Now I have no problem displaying the events that I attend because I learned something from the Rockabilly Socialite.  I realize that when I began my spiritual journey I was terribly ignorant and I wasn’t aware of the events, groups and activities that are currently happening to help motivate my faith.  I thought Mass was all the church provided- yet, there’s such an abundance of groups, classes, volunteer opportunities, seminars, social events, etc. that are available for our growth.  Thus, I started sharing these activities with the intention of informing others of how well-rounded our faith is!

On Saturday, after the teen retreat my friend and I went to Java, Jazz & Jesus held by Christus Ministries.  The event’s relaxing, contemporary live music, yummy coffee and treats helped create a warm ambiance in which we had great spiritual discussions.  Father Tri presented a talk on three characteristics that Pope Francis’ papacy has thus far highlighted (humility, joy, and mercy).  Afterwards we dissected the talk at our tables.  Followed by more music, coffee and great conversation.  While I was slightly tired from my morning of service- I had such an amazing time and got to bond with my friend and with others who share my faith (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment