Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fun with the Saints

As an attempt to transform a festivity that tends to leave God out of its celebration, churches began to create fall festivals encouraging the community to dress in costume as their favorite saints.  For the past two years at my local parish my nephew and I have participated in the Parish Fall Fest.  This year I decided that I wanted to utilize the month to do a little more studying and to really get to know one saint so that by the time the Hallows Eve festivities come I will have a deep understanding of a soul that gave herself entirely to God.  I decided that as actors study for their parts I too would study my saint.  As I research the plethora of Catholic Saints I came across Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.  I knew ahead of time that I wanted a Renaissance saint because I love that period in history.  Thus, the search began and I came across a beautiful icon of Saint Elizabeth and new immediately that she was the one.  I order a book online that had pretty high ratings and came from Ignatius Press.  The book came in yesterday, Saint Elizabeth's Three Crowns, and I am about half way through it.  Once I finish it I will do a follow-up post on it.

While I was really drawn to the beauty of Saint Elizabeth’s icon and was happy to take on the role of a princess I came to find out that later in her life she became a third order Franciscan!  I tell you my dear Saint Francis follows me closely (smile).  One day in court a missionary friar stopped by the kingdom and was summoned to tell stories (for he was a great story teller) and after entertaining the nobles with secular stories and gaining their attention he began to tell them about Saint Francis.  Elizabeth was so moved by Saint Francis’ testimony that she began to imitate his spirituality.  Though she had to endure ridicule and contempt from those who dwelled in the castle she gave abundantly to the poor and spent hours in her chapel praying…

I have not finished the book- thus I don’t want to get ahead of myself- but so far this exercise of taking a saint during the entire month has been really fortifying.  While in the past I thought saints distracted one from God - as I continue to learn more about the lives of ordinary people that surrender completely to God- I realize that the few saints that I have studied have always left me with a strong desire to give more of myself to God.  All the saints have shown me a clear path towards God and have intensified my desire for personal sanctification.  I can’t wait to finish my book and to tweak my costume to better reflect her (smile).              

No comments:

Post a Comment