Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness

Father with his mom.

“Don’t forget in the darkness what you learned in the light.”  The big struggle of any Christian is smiling even when our hearts are breaking.  On Sunday, I attended Mass in Spanish after my RCIA talk.  Father Sergio was celebrating and though his mom passed on earlier last week he was as cheerful as usual.  He gave the homily with the same amount of joy and funny sense of humor that characterizes him.  He even invited us to the viewing & funeral services coaxing us by promising that we would meet all sixteen of his siblings.  Leaving I thanked God for allowing me to witness such complete trust and powerful witness in my church leader.  My desire is to have such an intimate relationship with God that no matter the struggles, the pain, the rejection- not even death will rock my faith & trust in my powerful Creator.  All my hope, all my ambition is (as Pablo Neruda put it) to be so close to God that His hand in my chest is my hand, so close that if He closes His eyes I fall asleep

Father Ordained by JP2
The truth is we all hurt- for different reasons we mourn and we ache.  Lately I have been feeling a bit blue myself, but our emotions should never cloud our hope in our Risen Savior!  This November is the tenth anniversary of my brother’s death and though I have found a way to continue it’s still such a sense of loss when I think of my sibling being absent from my life.  Sometimes we have to keep living until we feel alive again.  This life is full of loss and disappointments because it’s a fallen world.  The enemy attacks in areas that are valuable to us like the loss of a job, an illness, a heartbreak, a death in the family…  Sometimes when I am hurt I want to retaliate, to get drunk or to succumb to my depressive emotions.  At times I am so self-focused that my problems and distress look bigger than my God.  Why?  Because I have taken my eyes from God and placed them on my limited self.  That’s why seeing Father so strong in God really inspired me to trust the Lord more, to lean on the Him more and to hope in the Lord even when things look rather hopeless.  That instead of reacting to a negative situation negatively I NEED to rest in the hope and strength God has promised.


I was talking to a friend about how life as a single Catholic person (past thirty) at times seems quite the hopeless situation.  Especially during breakups or the beginnings of relationships.  Romantic break-ups are almost equivalent to a death because usually one needs to get away from the beloved to heal and to move on.  And beginnings are confusing because one must risk rejection.  Life is hard!  It throws obstacle after obstacle and hurt after hurt; and we as Christians need to learn to smile and trust in the Lord during these stumbles.  We need to handle difficulty with grace and dignity.  That’s why studying the lives of the saints is so important and having friends and church leaders that through example show one that no matter the painful hurdle - it’s a choice to rely on God and it's a choice to shine His light as testimony of our great hope in Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment