Monday, October 27, 2014

Classical Night

The first time I heard Gregorian chant was during my first spiritual retreat in 2005.  I remember entering the dark prayer room eyes closed and I heard the melodious harmony of voices chanting in a language I couldn’t understand, but the pure sounds transported me into the realms of God.  The sacred chants brought so much healing that night and for a while I thought this type of music was reserved for only powerful prayer within a church setting.   The chants seemed too holy to be taken out of the house of God and thus after the retreat ended I never inquired nor pursued the music.  Again in 2007 at my next crucial retreat with Jovenes Para Cristo I heard the rhythms of the music – since I have come to appreciate Gregorian chant and listen to the music especially when I need sustenance and peace.


Last week I was on Facebook and on the news feeds I saw that the Norbertine Fathers from Saint Michael's Abbey were performing at the Segerstrom Hall along with the Pacific Symphony. A couple of friends of mine and I were able to catch the performance and it was such an amazing night!  The conductor explained that the concert was in fact a novena for the souls of our departed.  We were there opening night and the concert series will close on All Souls Day.  I am in no way educated in Gregorian chant I just appreciate it, but I can attest that it has the power to heal and transform hearts.  I recommend you go enjoy the classical series.  The first half takes Respighi poem Church Windows and is seriously amazing!


We sat in the third row from the front and I was close enough to see the facial expressions of the performers as they played their instruments and boy was that intimate.  This inner passion from the musicians drove the instruments to communicate the sounds of heaven.  Together the violins, trumpets, flutes, drums, harp, the Norbertine Fathers… made the most amazing music and two thoughts came to mind.  One that together we make better music (proving that God created us to exist in community) and two, that if this is so pleasing to my being I can’t wait to hear the sounds of angels in heaven (smile).   

No comments:

Post a Comment