Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ordinary Life

When I was in elementary I used to love to read biographies of Civil Rights Activists like Martin Luther King Jr., Frederick Douglas, and Malcolm X… I was fascinated by their passion and courage to stand up for what is humanly right.  They were my heroes – at times I even allowed myself to dream of one day having my own cause and fighting vigorously for it… When I started reading the Bible; and, learning about the biblical heroes, again I envisioned myself crusading for my faith in foreign countries doing valiant missionary work.  I waited for the day when God would send me to battle and I would victoriously defeat evil in the name of love…

As any good soldier, I prepared: reading scripture, spiritual books, going to confession, attending mass and enrolling in biblical courses.  But the call never came. 
My dog being his best!

Recently, I discovered that God has given me a mission, but it requires little travel and no tremendous exploit.  “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much…” Every day I must love those who God has given me (as my lot) and I must do it exceptionally well.  In the ordinary tasks(like going to work, walking my dog, cleaning the house, washing clothes, doing the dishes…) I found my mission.  For love is an action.   

My sis being the best mom!

All of us have been commissioned to be heroes in our own homes and families.  Take that responsibility and make it an extraordinary adventure! 

“There is something holy, something divine, hidden in the most ordinary situations, and it is up to each one of you to discover it. Our ordinary everyday life, devoid of human glamour, can be a path to holiness.” St. Josemaria

No comments:

Post a Comment