Tuesday, September 17, 2013

It Happened One January

Last January I went on my first Catholic Single’s Cruise – I was really just excited about traveling with like- minded people, nothing more. Yet, God used that experience to challenge my hopes for the future.  Up until that January I really believed that I was called to the single life.  I was happy on my own and was preparing mentally, materially and prayerfully to start fostering children and eventually adoption.  That notion of caring for and loving the little ones that have been discarded by society has always been in my heart.  I figured that I didn’t need a man to commit myself to the mission of loving the unwanted.  But January came and went and God showed me that I underestimated Him…

Our Ave Maria Catholic Singles Group

During that cruise I met so many people, men and women alike that inspired my faith and motivated me to continue my walk with the Lord.  The men though, blew me away! They were what Anne of Green Glables referred to as “Kindred Spirits.”  I think I need to further explain this: I live in a state known for its liberal point-of-view. For example, I went on a date where the man felt the need to express (on our first date) that if we were to continue dating I needed to be comfortable being around drugs because he loved smoking pot!  Maybe that’s why I stopped dating (SMILE).  My friend jokingly said that I had to give him credit for his honesty (LOL).

Some of the awesome People I met 

Any-who, back to kindred spirits…  It’s in the little things.  They showed up bright and early every morning for mass and every evening for adoration…  I am always getting lost (I was born without a compass); one day I thought I had boarded the wrong ferry and one of the fellows overcame his shyness to make sure that I got to my destination safely.  During our short interaction I saw a living Jesus in all of his caring actions.  In that brief moment, God revealed that there are men out there as scarce as they might be that can become my one-and-only if I am open to His will. 

My terrific roommate

During the late nights I had the opportunity to chat with God, outside in the terrace of the cruise ship.  The wind would caress my face and the infinite night consumed me in its embrace.  Throughout these prayer sessions, God in His omnipotence began to reshape my thoughts about marriage.  He began showing me that He always gives more than one can ever ask for.  That He created someone for me and I needed to trust Him.  I began to pray for God to help me hear and recognize His voice and to be docile to the inspirations of the Holy Spirit in ALL of my life, especially this new area (romantic life) that he was asking me to hand over to Him... When in your pride you think that you can’t grow anymore or that God has your all - He swoops in and lovingly shows you that you are a work in progress.  

I guess it's no surprise that I will be going to the 2014 Cruise (God willing).

No comments:

Post a Comment