Friday, September 13, 2013

Man Wanted

The other day my friend asked the loaded question: "what are you looking for in a man?"

I started listing adjectives: “Humility, intelligence, caring, generous, traditional, must love the outdoors and animals, mature, strong in faith – a handyman: someone who can build me a shoe rack, that’s important!” Then I laughed because seriously I don’t have a clue.

I’m attracted to “real” men, like the ones that I have been around in my lifetime. For example, my father, he’s always getting his hands dirty in house projects like painting, gardening, repairing… He’s the patriarch - takes care of everyone, is the provider and is the man of the family. He’s earned our respect so much so that we don’t mind following him and seeking him for help. His actions always speak louder than his words. He’s extremely loyal & faithful. His family is his priority and he is utterly in love with mom. He’s a sweetheart – to this day I am his “Chompi” or “Willy” (the baby names that he’s given me all of my life) and my mother is his “honey.”
Dad giving me a big hug on graduation day!

I’m also attracted to intelligent men, the type that don’t mind reading a book or two every now and then, like my brother (in heaven), he and I were the bookworms of the family. We loved getting into theoretical discussions about a bunch of nonsense… He would also accompany me everywhere because we had the same interests in common. I love the theatre, film, books, the outdoors and music.

I don’t want a prince charming because their identity is stripped, not even being worthy of a name (so sad).  I want an imperfect man – but one that is perfect for me and complements my weaknesses.  Someone firm in his faith because I tend to be a Thomas (disciple known for his doubts). And my momma always stressed that the man should make the first move (SMILE) so that’s important.  A philosopher once said that when looking for a partner to share the rest of your life with, the most important quality is to be able to have exciting conversations, because once everything else fades that’s all we will have.  My parents, in their mature age, are constantly laughing, so maybe there’s some truth to that (WINK). 

To be honest, I don’t invest a lot of imagination into my future spouse because I know God knows best and I want His will not mine. But I do believe that He equips us with these invisible antennas that if we hush our lives we can hear the signal loud enough to follow His will…

There you have it... If you know of a man that fits that description send him my way (WINK).

No comments:

Post a Comment