Monday, September 16, 2013

My Catholic Upbringing

My parents returned from a mini holiday, visiting grandma for the past two weeks, and my mother brought back some old pictures she found in our house in Mexico.  I was super excited about the mementos because childhood pictures of my siblings & I are quite rare, somehow mom never thought of capturing her kids in photographs.  In the small stack she brought back were pictures of me receiving my sacraments and I just had to share!  


My Baptism & Confirmation were celebrated on the same day, when I was but a babe with chunky arms, as noted in the picture.


During Kindergarten, in my Catholic School, I was chosen as Mother Mary for the Christmas play. I was so shy that on the day of the performance I started to cry during the production and everyone thought I was acting Mother Mary’s labor pains so I got a lot of praise for it (SMILE). I also remember having a crush on the kid who played Joseph secret I was going to take to my grave!


 My Communion was such a special day! I remember I was a little over six-years-old, I was so excited about wearing a puffy white dress (even though it doesn’t seem like it in the picture).  My sister and mom prepared me for months for an interview the parish priest administered to see if I was mature enough to receive the Sacrament.  Mom was adamant that I receive the Sacrament and complete my Catholic Rites of Initiation before we moved to California.

Joseph is cute isn't he LOL


I am a girl with an old soul, and I have a passion for vintage and these pictures are my small legacy.  My parents are minimalists, when they got married they didn’t even have wedding bands (they still don’t wear rings)!  I always dreamt of receiving an heirloom that I could then pass on to the next generation, but judging by my parents distaste for jewelry - that’s not happening (SMILE).  But it doesn’t matter because now I have pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment