Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wearing My Heart on My Sleeve

I think like most women, I love fashion.  I enjoy getting creative with the way I dress particularly shoes!  When I was growing up my sister and I watched beauty pagents and I remember being mesmerized because she would draw the gowns on an art pad to later recreate for herself to wear.  We lived in a small town and she was quite popular for her fashion sense... Watching her create, built in me a knack for detail and love of pretty things.  However, my mother regulated the way we dressed and how we styled our hair until we were fifteen, when in the Mexican culture girls become women.  She made sure to instill modesty in our formative years creating a strong foundation so that by the time we were allowed to venture on our own we would have a strong compass.



We journey through life in so many ways, and our style too evolves.  I remember when I graduated high school I felt so grown-up and started dressing very provacatively only to soon realize that the guys I was attracting were not guys I was attracted to.  They objectified women, only wanting a throphy to show off. Then, when I fell in love and was in a loving relationship that brought another change. I became more confident and took risks with my wardrobe until finding a balanced medium of self-expression...  But it wasn't until I fell for God, that I truly found my style.

Maria Felix
 
"Do not adorn yourselves outwardly by braiding your hair, and wearing gold ornaments or fine clothing; rather, let your adorment be the inner self with the lasting beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

Dolores Del Rio
 
I still love fashion and think of it as wearable art, but something happened I went back to that compass that my mother had given me in my youth.  Today, I am learning to dress in a way that makes my creator smile.  Also, I learned to be less vain, I can leave my house without make-up and dressed rather simply and still know my self-worth.  A month ago, I was at The Ranch and my country-dancing-loving-friend said, "look that group over there must be Christian because the girls are modestly dressed."  Wouldn't that be awesome if others by looking at us new we were one of the faithful (smile).











No comments:

Post a Comment