Wednesday, September 11, 2013

On Humility



There’s nothing more attractive than humility. Once, a pastor asked the following question during a full service, “whoever thinks himself humble, please stand up?” Quite a few people proudly stood up (smile). 

Some good reads & my Saint Francis plush.
 
Humility is so fragile that as soon as you think you have it, poof, it’s gone. Am sure that if one was to go back in time and ask Saint Francis of Assisi (who is the definition of humbleness) if he considered himself humble he would absolutely say no, but we don’t have to travel back in time… Today if we were to ask Pope Francis (who took the name of my beloved saint) his answer would be the same resonating no. It’s not something a person can own up to nor claim because the moment one does - one loses it.  It’s a virtue that is given by our heavenly father. 

My nephew & I being silly!

Yet, it is easily recognizable.  It's so evident in children, that's why Jesus' exhorted us to become like little ones.  The other day my nephew came into my room and had a huge smile on his face, "look tia, this pencil is so huge, it's so cool, right."  He was holding one of those big pencils that my sister found at the 99 Cent Store.  For the rest of the day he greeted everyone he came across with a chuckle and a show & tell of his beloved object.  I want to always marvel at little things, no matter how much I grow-up - may my sensibility to be astounded never fade.  


Saint Francis watching my hairy baby!
 
Today I took my dog on a four-mile walk and I noticed that his tail always salutes the the air and his face is overtaken by a satisfied grin.  Ordinary things make him so happy, like a smelly bush or a fallen leaf in his path - or that taunting squirrel that always makes him launch as if maybe this time he will capture it.  When I come home, he receives me with quite an enthusiastic performance... 


Someday I hope to be as humble as my six-year-old nephew or even my dearest dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment