Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Times Past

On Saturday, I attended the Huntington Beach Civil War Days and was transported backwards in time to 1861.  The historical society recreates campsites and various scenarios to demonstrate what life was like during the Civil War Days.  I’ve always been drawn to people that live with passion and never settle to live a life as anyone other than themselves.  It takes courage to dance to the beat of one’s own drum.  As I toured the campsites, under the hot sun, the members of the historic society were so happy to share their knowledge and love of times past- and never refused photo requests.  I learned a great deal about the Civil War, but what I most enjoyed was being around passionate people!  Most of us especially when we are adolescents crave to fit in - to be the same as everyone else.  As a child of an alcoholic and growing up in a foreign country I often felt like the most alien person in the world.  I craved to be normal- to fit in.  This identity struggle and freakish self-perception have helped me to accept and admire people that are usually marginalized, shut out and ignored. 
God created such variety and am glad this diversity He also applied to the human race.  We are each so beautifully unique inside and out.  Each of us carries different talents and personalities that together strengthen the Body of Christ.  And when we tap into those talents without shame or fear to be different God’s light shines in and through us.  I saw this constant glow in all the actors at the reenactment.  They were beauty personified!  Life is so beautiful and so short!  At times I feel like I won’t have enough time to do everything in this world that inspires me- like one day joining a historical movement.  I have been wanting to join the Renaissance Faire because that’s one of my favorite periods in history, but time is my enemy.  Sometimes (and this comment comes with no biblical accuracy) when I think of heaven I imagine this eternal university where every day I will learn exciting new skills, like one day I will learn to sail a ship and another I will dance ballet… (SMILE)

Throughout my lifetime I have learned to accept myself, as odd as I am (wink), and to really love me- in doing so I have learned to value and love others.  With the help of God anything is possible.   

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank God for our weirdness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! “We're all a little weird and life's a little weird. And when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness call it love.”

    ReplyDelete