Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Jesus Loves Us Too

For some time now I have been wanting to join an organization that serves animals- and on Sunday I finally was able to make this dream come true. I attended an orientation with the Animal Assistance League of Orange County and am now one of their volunteers- I will be helping weekly with clerical duties while I train to work with their rescued dogs. Am super excited about this opportunity because I love animals (specifically dogs) and am a proud supporter of no kill shelters. The center helps the community in so many neat ways: with their lost and found helpline, spay and neuter assistance, pet aid for low income families, humane education, animal abuse referral and no kill shelter. The center currently has forty-five dogs and over sixty-five cats! On Sunday I got to tour the grounds and I think I am in danger of adopting a couple dogs, which I hear is very common for volunteers to end with a few permanent animals (wink).
The areas I am more interested in getting involved are hands-on working with the doggies and humane education. As an educator, I believe a lot of problems are caused due to ignorance and education is part of the solution. Every year one million cats and dogs enter California shelters and each year 500,000 are put to death! Those statistics are scary! Thus, spay and neuter your pets.
“Let us do good to everyone” Galatians chapter six verse ten.  As Christians we are called to a life of service and that includes God’s creation too.  Sometimes when I talk about animal rights in Christian settings I get people who think that devoting my resources to help causes away from human rights is frivolous and a waste of time.  Yet, I am a firm believer in the body of Christ- and I believe each of us has a mission and is equipped with the tools to complete that mission.  A strong desire in a particular area of service is God pointing you in the direction He wants you to serve.  Each of us has specific talents and together we make a fully functioning body of Christ.  If everyone was a doctor all the other areas of need would be neglected – thus we need human, social, world and animal activist.  Together our work covers many areas of need because “the harvest is vast…”  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment