Monday, September 15, 2014

A Life of Service


I had quite a busy weekend serving God- between ticket sales for our parish September Fest and RCIA under the hot-hot sun my weekend came to pass.  Serving God in different ministries has fueled my desire for conversion and has also help redirect my focus from self towards others.  During our first classes of RCIA I already see God working in the hearts of many – I saw a couple women shed tears as they began to open up to God and to bring their lives to the cross.  There’s so much pain in the world and as Christians we are called to aid those in trouble and hurting- that’s why service in the life of a Christian is as important as the interior spiritual growth process.  Since, my conversion I have held many volunteer positions serving as: a prayer warrior for Jovenes Para Cristo, event coordinator for Saint Francis Senior Home, secretary of the Santa Barbara Parish Hispanic Council, core member of Life Teen and now RCIA catechist.  In my short time serving Jesus in more organized ways He has revealed to me that helping others is a double positive both for the receiver and the giver because there’s such a heavenly satisfaction giving of yourself for the good of another.  
On the second day of RCIA, a lady in my small group cried as she expressed her emptiness, her pain and her desire to be healed from all previous hurts which still affect her today.  As I sat there listening to her testimony and as I led the activity- I felt like my life has purpose because God is able to use me to help others.  It made waking up early on a Sunday and spending four hours in a confined room without air conditioning on a very hot day worth every minute.  While the world offers ways of improving your life by doing things focused on you – I have found that when I shift my focus from self towards others my life finds meaning and purpose.  After all Jesus came to serve not to be served and we as His followers need to adopt His mentality.  

No comments:

Post a Comment