Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Saint Francis, Pope Francis

I found a book at my local Catholic bookstore a few days ago.  Initially I had made the trip to the store to look for a replacement charm for my dog’s collar (he lost his ids) and I rarely buy “new” books, but the title caught my attention Saint Francis, Pope Francis: A Common Vision – it seemed too good to pass!  On Sunday, in a matter of hours I finished it.  I just loved how it's organized examining five Gospel values (humility, charity, church, peace and joy) and showing how these men apply these truths in their spiritual journey and in doing so portray a very real Jesus.  When Pope Francis was elected to succeed Pope Benedict XVI in March of 2013- I was forced to examine the pope issue that Protestants tend to have.  Prior to that I wasn’t too excited about our church leaders because I didn’t understand their position within the church- at times my naïveté caused me to think that these men stole Jesus’ light.  When I returned to the Catholic Church in 2007 there were many areas that I found puzzling about my faith- but I patiently waited to be taught (in God’s time) about these hot button issues.  Thus, as Pope Benedict abdicated his position - I began to explore who the Pope was and why he was so important to the Catholic faith.  
Obviously, there’s the theological and historical aspects to it and the fact that Jesus himself appointed Peter as our first Pope.  Learning about the hierarchy of the Catholic Church is extremely fascinating and enriching, but the Pope to us Catholics is more personal than a king or a ruler on a pedestal.  He guides the over 1.2 billion Catholic population in the world and he always reminds and points towards God.  In our society we benefit from having leaders – especially in matters of religion and spirituality. 
When I heard that we had our first Pope from the Americas and that he had taken for the first time in history the name of Francis and made Saint Francis his patron saint- I felt like God was speaking directly to me.  Instantly I felt this great connection and love for our Argentine Pope.  As he began his papacy, I began to learn more about him and the more I learned the more I wanted to know him because he was showing me how to actively be Catholic and pointing me directly to God.  His simplicity, humility and his capacity to love captivated me. 
During 2013, God gave me the opportunity to be present at Saint Peter’s Square for a Sunday Eucharistic Service and Pope Francis stated his homily in Spanish.  I remember his words and his voice challenged me to radiate the joy of the Gospel by word and witness in every place I find myself and to form community and fight individualism.  To love and seek God daily.  He has this tremendous power to use language to create emotion and provoke deep feelings- I remember during the entire homily I rejoiced with overflowing tears.  It was one of those happy moments when words are so inadequate that only tears can communicate the joy and beauty of Christ.  He’s the peoples’ pope – becoming so popular to even win the cover of Time Magazine’s person of the year issue.  Though the message he communicates is no different than his predecessors- Pope Francis’ approach of naturally kissing babies and the disabled shows through deeds the simplicity yet power of love.  God truly left us with a beautiful institution and with competent leaders to lead His flock towards heaven.      

No comments:

Post a Comment