Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Come To Me All Who Are Weary


I have been struggling with the worst case of fatigue this past week (one of the highlights of being bipolar) which means that I have been sleeping more than usual.  Last week I skipped on game one of season two of softball because I was just so exhausted!  I wish I had tips on how to overcome the tiredness, but other than “press on” with the activities that must get done like showing up and performing your job related duties- then rest.  I hate the time when this chronic fatigue overwhelms my life because activities, people and pets suffer.  My dog tends to look at me like come on am ready for my walk.  Luckily he is of a forgiving nature and if he just gets a fifteen minute rather pathetic walk he slides next to me and accompanies me in my slumber.  I try to make it up on days when I recuperate my energy levels, but at times I feel so guilty for my limitations.  The good thing is that I know enough about how the illness affects me by now that I am able to accept the tiredness and the over sleep as necessities during a few days a month.  There are times to fight symptoms and times to just surrender.  My psychologist and I decided to change one of the medications that I have been on because of my weight gain and so far I feel better on this new drug- I have also noticed that my fatigue spells are shorter so that’s optimistic (smile).

Recently I took on two new responsibilities.  One of my best friends invited me to help with RCIA for the Hispanic community this year at Santa Barbara Parish and at my current parish I am helping with ticket sales for our annual September Fest.  Thus, this past month has been a grueling time of preparatory meetings.  Maybe that’s part of the reason I am so tired (wink).  I am sharing this information because if I have commitments in my agenda ahead of time I am more likely –even in states of utter fatigue- to keep my responsibilities.  Though when I do show up my friends notice the change in me.  During periods of tiredness - physically I have no energy to invest in wearing make-up and devoting the minutes I normally do to look presentable.  I usually show up in dark colors, free of make-up with my hair in a bun.  While my physical appearance suffers so does my personality- I am quiet and can become easily irritable.  After years of dealing with these periods of fatigue I can now for the most part deal with the feelings in a more positive manner, before I would isolate myself from everything and everyone.  Now I try to keep my routine and my commitments for the most part- but it has taken a lot of years of practice.  There are still days when I crash, but now I know that it’s not laziness. 

During the periods of low energy I also need more alone time- for I charge my batteries in my moments of solitude.  I have been in therapy for almost a decade now and the experience has transformed me and equipped me with the tools I need to lead a normal life.  My spirituality and faith in God have also been motivators in my recovery.  When I was at my darkest hour in my life, I remember attending Jovenes Para Cristo meetings partly because one of the leaders in the prayer ministry would always give me a tight, warm hug.  Those hugs carried God’s saving and healing power- they helped carry me in moments of devastating frailty…  So if you see me around looking gloomy a hug will help (smile) there's just something so healing in the sense of touch.  We were meant to be hugged, kissed and loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment