Wednesday, August 13, 2014

10 Blessings of Being Single (Just This Past Month)

Being single is a gift- I think we all have heard that statement before.  That’s not to say that marriage is not.  However, while we are free from marriage- a relationship that entails submitting to one-another, sacrificing time, energy and resources- we singles pretty much dominate our own life.  We can pick up extra hours at work, sign up for a softball team, participate in church ministry, volunteer, spend time with friends, watch that TV show or finish that novel.  How we spend our time, resources and choices is usually decided without the council of another person.  Thinking of what we want and what we yet do not have makes us miss out on the blessings in our lives.  So here’s my list of ten things that I was able to do this past month because I am single (smile).  Thank you Jesus!

1.  I got to attend the National Catholic Singles Conference.
2. I became an RCIA leader and signed-up to help with September Fest at my parish.
3. I took various long walks with my dog to the park, the beach, around the neighborhood and spent time just watching him socialize at the dog park.
4. I got a haircut, a mani & pedi, and bought a new dress – without feeling the need to justify my spending. 
5.  I got to spend time out eating and socializing with friends and family.
6.  I read four books simultaneously whenever I felt like it during the day.
7. I attended our parish bonfire, night at the Angel’s stadium, Courtyard Theology sessions among other parish activities.
8.  I spent hours in adoration during the month and had the opportunity to pray the rosary most mornings.
9.  I watched endless hours of my favorite BBC shows, foreign movies and classics.

10. I took a last minute road trip.







You can’t be happy with someone else if you are not happy alone.     

No comments:

Post a Comment