Monday, May 19, 2014

Part One: Catholic Fashionista

Recently Regina Magazine (a Catholic on-line periodical) was calling all Catholic Fashionistas to submit a piece for their Spring Style Offensive and a friend thought I should submit a post since she thought my Sunday Modesty pieces would be perfect.  In the email that was forwarded to me the editor of the magazine joked about the fashion piece request since it dealt with something as superficial as clothes and serious Catholics generally prefer deeper more significant readings.  After doing some research on the topic of Christian Fashion I found very little and even less when I looked for Catholic Fashion.  What I did find were a few women like myself desiring a Catholic magazine that celebrates the art, beauty and craftsmanship of fashion.  A magazine that works at redeeming the fallen art because women like myself who work daily at transforming themselves into true images of Christ also enjoy clothes and shoes. 

I even found a pastor who for the past two years has created and hosted an event called Christian Fashion Week.  Which reminds me, at my parish once a year we have a fashion fundraising event and though it’s put on and geared toward older ladies it’s nice to know that our church is open to speaking about not so popular subjects.  Pope Francis said, “An authentic faith- which is never comfortable or completely personal- always involves a deep desire to change the world, to transmit values, to leave this earth somehow better than we found it.”  How can learning about fashion make us better stewards of creation?  For one we can learn about the effects of cheap fashion (producing new styles cheaply and quickly to reap big cash rewards) and how our consumerism is creating so much waste, increasing pollution and exploiting workers.  These days with the popularity of chains like Forever 21, H&M, Old Navy, ZARA- we are buying literally tons of clothes a year and because their value is so cheap and not made to last we discard pieces after a little more than one wear.  Due to fleeting trends, fast fashion has become the new making money scheme.  Most stores are no longer supplying new inventory seasonally, but weekly if not daily!  This means that the craftsmanship and quality has degraded.  Now oversees manufacturing companies produce quick, cheap and sizable orders to meet the greedy demands of American consumers.   With record low prices on cheap clothes people don’t think twice about their purchases. If the shirt purchased only lasts one wear- it is easily justified by the bargain price.  Due to such low prices and low quality we have become a disposable society.  One wear and we can afford to throw them out- we even feel justified that since we paid so little we can get rid of it quickly. 
GAP Dress $15 - at the GAP, GAP Cardigan - Gift, 
Steve Madden Hoppe Bow Flat at Ross - 12.99, Star Necklace - $1 Yard Sale

I am guilty of this, I am a sucker for a sale.  A few months ago I was at the GAP and I bought four pairs of pants, six t-shirts and two dresses because they were on sale.  With the happiness of the great deals I didn’t try anything on knowing that everything was a final sale, meaning no returns.  When I got home and tried things on I didn’t like the majority of the stuff I bought because the fit was off, but I comforted myself with the happy thought that I had paid so little.  As I thought of Christian fashion I realized that I need to be converted in this area – I possess a disposable mentality.  I looked around my room and it screams excess, excess, excess… I have too many shoes, clothes, make-up, jewelry- I am drowning in so much stuff!  Before I consoled myself thinking that since I donated bags to Goodwill my shopping ways could continue, but I am helping pollute the planet and supporting bad work practices in other countries!   I am suffering from greed and hoarding and I think I need an intervention!  This whole assignment on Catholic Fashionistas really got me thinking and put things in perspective bringing a desire to change.  My name is Penny and I am a shopaholic!

Turn in next Monday for part II...
Part Two: Confessions of a Catholic Material Girl
hPart Three: Spring Cleanning         

No comments:

Post a Comment