Thursday, May 22, 2014

There's No Fear In Love

Yummy food, drinks, deep spiritual talk and friends!

Sometime ago my parish priest and I were enjoying lunch together, we were engaged in this great conversation and eventually it led to why I was still single.  He suggested I put myself out there and start actively looking for my husband.  Though, I told him I thought the single life was my vocation he insisted on me putting myself out there.  His words left me contemplating marriage in a manner that I hadn’t before and I decided to maybe just take a peek to see if God wanted me to open myself to the marriage vocation.  The following Sunday as I visited Saint Vincent de Paul Parish for mass during the announcements a beautiful woman (with the greatest set of curls) invited us to Theology on Tap.  The event was described as an opportunity for young, Catholic adults to meet, enjoy good food and drinks along with a faith-filled talk.  After my chat with my parish priest the invitation seemed like a nice way to put myself out there.  Since then I have attended most (of my now parish SVDP) Theology on Tap events, and though no romantic relationships have been established I have met wonderful people that inspire and motivate me to press on and continue walking with God.
Last Night's Theology on Tap Group

Am not sure on the success of the Theology on Tap movement in bringing spouses together, but I can testify that it’s a great way to meet other believers who love God and want to contribute goodness to the world.  It’s also a nice way to bring God into the world and such a blessing to be able to meet at a bar and celebrate in unity God’s redeeming love.  As I talked to some of the new women that showed up last night I realized that am not the only person having difficulty finding my better half.  While there are many dating websites and events that aid in making the process easier- it’s nice to know that I am not the only one coming empty handed.  All in God’s time…

Listening to the priest’s recommendation to be in the lookout for my husband has brought a lot of healing.  I realized that fear was the reason I didn’t want to get married.  Growing up in a chaotic, alcoholic home made me steer away from involving myself with someone that would eventually hurt me.  I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to cope with the pains of marriage and family, but as I have given myself to God, He has filled me with His strength.  I have learned that the things in life that give the most pleasure can also be the ones that inflict the most pain – but keeping myself in a protective bubble is not living.  Thus, after a few years of taking a peek into the marriage vocation my heart and mind have changed and now I await for God to send the one He created for me.  The one God wants me to help sanctify and the one who will help sanctify me (smile).  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment