Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Green Catholic

Sorry for the poor quality, they are vintage photos LOL

Once I was in the middle of a spiritual discussion in one of my young adult affairs and I expressed my passion & support for animal rights and the preservation of our planet.  One of the men confused me with the stereotypical tree hugger and advised me to use my time and energy more wisely and on more crucial issues like all aspects of human rights (since the value of human life supersedes everything else).  Obviously God made man the top of the food chain, but He also gave us strict instruction on caring for creation.  I grew up surrounded by animals in nature and my parents taught me to value the natural world.  My earliest memories include lots of animals and fields of wild flowers.  In fact, my mother has a natural remedy for most ailments and growing up she was our main physician- we really only visited the doctor for serious cases like surgeries (she’s just that good)! 
Exploring the Amazon Jungle...
I loved the gigantic lily pads in the Amazon River and the Condor atop Mt. Huyana Picchu. 

Some years ago I visited the Amazon Jungle, for a week I was literally in the middle of the most abundant paradise free of all signs of civilization.  Everything really is so much bigger in the tropical forest due to the thriving vegetation, butterflies and snails are the size of my face!  The days in the Amazonia went by so quickly and though at the time I was an agnostic I remember thinking as I floated on a small canoe along the Amazon River that if heaven existed this is what it would look like.  On a night canoe ride the stars filled the sky and the music the various creatures sang was sublime.  Every morning all types of monkeys would come close enough for us to enjoy and we had a colorful toad as a bathroom mate that made showering quite the experience.   The deeper we went into the jungle the more tourist we lost (they went back to the border of Brazil and Peru).  For a week it was just my three friends, our tour guides and I; thus, the rainforest felt like it had been created just for us- at times just for me. I didn’t have access to any modern conveniences, so most of my days I was either exploring the wilderness or resting in a hammock contemplating my great surroundings.  During a hike our tour guide, who spoke like Captain Sparrow, rubbed some potion he concocted from tree zap and a flower all over my friend because mosquitos had feasted all over her body. The potion alleviated the itchy and puffiness of the bites immediately.  As we walked through muddy paths he pointed out various plants that heal all sorts of complications.  He also shared how a lot of the Amazonia is endangered as a result of our greed (known as deforestation).  Logging companies are exploiting Brazil and destroying the rainforest!  After experiencing the all-consuming beauty of this place and listening to Captain Sparrow speak with sadness and rage about the destruction of his home – it’s hard not to care.  I want the rainforest to be there for my children and my children’s children and all generations to come!  I want the indigenous tribes that call the jungle their home to continue having a home.  I want the species that call it a home to also have a home.
Rowing, Rowing down the Amazon River... (Captain Sparrow is behind me)
The picture doesn't do it justice- simply heavenly!
Exploring Machu Picchu.

My desire to care for the planet and its creatures is not a fad – it stems from love and my Christian duty.  Our world is hurting in many aspects, but I truly believe that God gave each of us a very specific love for a particular cause.  I believe that He engineered each of us in such a unique way that if each of us followed our inner compass it would direct us in a very determined path.  While I am fighting for green and animal rights and my fellow Catholic brother is fighting for human rights we’re each following God’s will, but are addressing various needs.  For me to be the most comfortable around animals is natural- it gives me great pleasure and instantly connects me to God.  I see God in nature.  Although I would love to have time and energy to fight all the battles that need defending- I know that I can’t.  Thus, I have chosen based on my passion what I want to help improve.  I have friends that are passionate about ending abortion and are prolife advocates that spend most of their free time and resources giving to the cause.  I have others that help recovering addicts and alcoholics.  Still others that work with the elderly, prisoners and the homeless… The needs are great in this fallen world and there are so many ways we can individually contribute ourselves and our treasure.  Whatever you decide based on your God given talents go for it because every cause needs workers- and am sure that doing good (whatever that might be) makes God smile. 
Before climbing the mountain behind me and coming out of a cave.
With the Peruvian Lama's!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING ADVENTURE!!! I DID NOT KNOW THAT YOU WERE IN SUCH GREAT PLACES MY DEAR SONIA, YOU NEED TO TELL ME MOOOORE!!!! =)

    LOVE 4 U FROM GDL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am blessed- truly in all aspects, Georgina... A girl from a small little town in Mexico traveling the world - pinch me I think I am dreaming (smile)... My life is truly a dream come true- God is just SO GOOD! I wish I remembered how good He is all the time... Love you too from Cali!

    ReplyDelete