Tuesday, May 6, 2014

April Catholic of the Month

Surname: Mariposa

Parish: Saint Barbara Parish

Occupation: Nanny




I am proud to announce April's Catholic of the Month, my dear friend and role model Mariposa.  I meet her on May fourth of two-thousand-and-seven the day that I officially returned to the Catholic Church.  She was my small group leader during a Jovenes Para Cristo retreat and since then our relationship has blossom into a very close friendship.  Mariposa is such a neat person and her faith and commitment to service really inspires and motivates me.  It's hard truthfully living out my faith especially when I am living in a largely anti-Christian world and having friends that are truly trying to lead authentic, faithful lives really inspires me- especially in my moments of weakness.  I love that I can always count on Mariposa to share my experiences, especially my struggles and know that she doesn't judge me, but encourages me to press on.  God has been so good providing women of such great character to walk with me, below is a glimpse of what this young Catholic girl is doing for the Kingdom (smile).     

2007 Retreat of Initiation Small Group


What was your first encounter with God like? 
It happened at the very beginning of my life, am not sure how to explain it but since I have use of reason God has been part of my life.  He’s always kept me close to Him and has never allowed for me to wonder far from Him. My mom always took me to Mass, spoke of God, taught me to pray and that filled my little heart with faith.  Since I can remember I loved going to church.

What has been your experience living/practicing your faith?
After I received my first communion I offered myself as an assistant catechist.  At the age of thirteen I had my own group of small children to teach catechism. Since an early age, God has given me great responsibilities!  When I turned eighteen I lived my retreat of initiation and that experience strengthened my relationship and commitment to God even more. As a twenty-year-old I became the coordinator of the pastoral ministry for Jovenes Para Cristo and was leading men and women older than I to Christ.  After that God allowed me to serve as the sub-coordinator of the entire JPC group for my parish.  That was the biggest responsibility by far!   Yet, I could not help repeating the words of the Prophet Jeremiah,  “But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a youth'; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak.””
Family plays an important role

How do you nourish your faith? How does your faith help you grow?
Currently I coordinate the RCIA program and that experience has been necessary for my spiritual growth.  God placed me there and I love leading the ministry.  It fills, motivates and excites me!  I just love helping adults and am blessed to be part of the process by which God brings people who want to receive their sacraments and come into the Catholic Church.  As I learn from them through their stories, struggles and their desire to find God, God encourages me to continue in His path. I nourish my faith through my service!  God gives me so much that I cannot remain without giving back and sharing His gifts. 
Friendship in Christ Club

How do integrate your faith in you daily life?  What do you love about your faith?
In the last year or even months my faith has matured especially during the various adverse circumstances that I have gone through; because of the trials and pain I have recently experience, God has shown me that He is a living God!  While I struggle and experience tremendous hurt I know that God uses it for the better and I stay strong through the intercession of my loved ones who pray for me.  I love knowing that in His eyes I am His favorite and His beloved (as we all are).   
With her Goddaughter and her Fiance 

Why is your faith important to you? What does your faith mean to you?

I simply would not be happy without my faith in God and as cliché as it sounds I wouldn’t change it for the world! Sometimes people associate all things faith related with boredom especially the youth, but I never saw it that way.  My joy comes from God and my faith in Him.  To me, my faith is everything and all I want to be.  I love being part of the Catholic Church and am so proud!  I love the doctrine, the teachings, His love which guides us and that God is present body, soul and divinity… 

Isn't she amazing!  I am truly blessed to have her as my best friend! Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment