Monday, June 2, 2014

Part Three: Spring Cleanning

GAP dress, GAP Oxfords, Hurley Scarf

In recent times as I have pondered marriage I have prayed for God to send me a man who is good with money, that way my future hubby will control our budget and we won’t be poor due to my mishandling of family funds (smile). Yet, as I took a good look around my overstuffed room I knew that I needed help right now!  It's time to allow God to simplify my home and to change my heart and my mind in regards to shopping and money.  As I write this post I feel anxiety just thinking that I need to change, that I need to be more thoughtful in the way I spend my money because my shopaholic decisions are violating my desire to be a good steward of God’s creation.  In addition, I have a hard time letting go of things thinking that I might need them in the future or those special sentimental pieces (ah)! 

Growing up in California, I didn’t have a lot of clothes or shoes and what I did have was mostly cheap, functional stuff mom got on sale.  I remember watching my classmates return from vacations wearing new clothes.  I specifically recall this one time when I overheard the most popular girl in elementary share that she was wearing her Easter dress and I thought to myself how cool it must be to have special holiday clothes.  My greatest fashion moment came when my mom splurged on a pair of twenty-dollar high kicks at Payless for my birthday.  My clothes were always generic and so not cute. Thus, when I started working and was able to buy myself anything I desired I went nuts.  In addition, throughout my early twenties I went with untreated bipolar disorder and during manic phases nothing gave me more pleasure than shopping.  As a young adult I have continued with the mentality that since I can afford to buy myself pretty things I must. I never really stopped to reflect that just because I can doesn’t mean that I should continue wasting resources for things that end up in storage.  So, here I am with boxes and the desire to begin a thorough closet-clean-out.  I have decided to take Jesus into my home so He can help me do a massive tidy-up and to change my materialistic ways. 
The whole process will include three steps.

Step One will require that I clean out my clothes, shoes, make-up, jewelry, books, etc. leaving only the articles of clothing I plan to wear, read or use making sure to reduce the number of items to a minimum.

Step two will require to sort the things I want to donate, things I want to sell, things I want to refashion and things I want to keep.  When I was a child my mom used to refashion her clothes (she used to make me dresses from old skirts) and that’s something that I want to pick up. Though I have some basic sewing skills I have been thinking of taking a couple courses to help me be more proficient. The goal is to create a classic, quality wardrobe that I constantly wear and one that is tailored for my body.      


Step three will require a vow to be a better quality over quantity shopper and to learn how to be a Christian consumer.  For this step I found some good literature to read and will educate myself on slow, ethical fashion.  I also need to establish a personal financial program one that promotes saving, tithing and a small monthly allowance for spending.  In addition, I will hold monthly evaluations to make sure that I don’t fall into the pattern of stuffing my room once again.... I promise to share my progress here (smile).   

Part II: Part Two: Confessions of a Catholic Material Girl

Part I:Part One: Catholic Fashionista

No comments:

Post a Comment