Thursday, June 19, 2014

Happy Belated Father's Day

After having my previous weekends full of wedding activities this past weekend it was such a blessing to just relax.  I got so comfortable taking it easy that I forgot to take pictures for my usual Sunday Modesty post, so please forgive me.  It was also Father’s Day and while I did snap a few pics of the BBQ we had for my dad (including his new lawn mower that we all pitched in and got him)  I decided to just enjoy the day with my family and celebrate another year with my dad.  Thus, I didn’t take many photos.  At around 2PM we all gathered in our backyard to enjoy carne asada and bond as a family.  As usual there was a lot of laughter and great conversation- I am truly blessed to belong to such a close-knit family!  Much of the laughter was due to the ill haircut I gave Dollar.  While I usually am really good at trimming his fur, on Sunday am not sure how I managed to leave it looking so choppy – good thing my dog didn’t seem to care. In fact, he seemed happy to get a load of fur off of his back for this nice, warm weather (smile).
Surprise!

In the morning we surprised dad with a serenade given by my nephew on the piano.  Then we took him out to the back to show him his shiny lawn mower with gigantic red bow.  He was really happy to get a new toy to continue his hobby of keeping the best lawn in the neighborhood.  Then he opened a few more gifts along with many hugs.  This is the typical fashion of our celebrations: serenade, gifts, food and time together.  Yet, the format never gets old. 
With the grandkid.

My dad had a rebellious, selfish, addictive start- but his story is one of redemption and transformation.  For over twenty-years he has been alcohol free and has changed his priorities.  My mother and his family are his life.  While he never attended any school functions for us growing up- now for my nephew he can’t get enough of his school and extra-curricular activities.  He tends to invite himself to all the events.  In addition, he likes to occasionally come with me to Mass and while his faith in God has always been strong now he attends services (wohoo).  He’s an amazing person and a truly terrific father and granddad.  These past years of him being alcohol free have gone by so quickly.  He’s taught me to never be afraid of change or personal growth- and that while we can start out egocentric and self-seeking every day is an opportunity to turn that around.  It’s taken him a lot of humility to recognize his bad habits and to transform into the man that we all love.  Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment