Wednesday, June 11, 2014

We Didn't Lose We Just Ran Out of Time

In two weeks, my softball career is coming to a close- at least for this season.  Our team had to endure a zero win streak and while I am competitive by nature I had to learn that winning isn’t everything. My highlight was the night that my fan club came out to watch and I actually scored my first run!  After each game I would tell my nephew our awful score and he would laugh and shake his head.  Soon I discovered that through our low performance my team made many people happy and we turned into a philanthropic team that through losing brought joy to others (smile) including ourselves.  We learned to have a positive attitude and laugh at our silly, inexperience softball moves.  While at times some of us became discouraged there was always our assistant coach to cheer us up and while the hope of winning one game never escaped us we realized that for our first season we had a great time.  While the score didn’t show our improvement- I know that through practice I learned a great deal and grew as a softball player.  Just losing my fear of the ball was a great first season victory!

My idea of success and in this case winning always had to do with the final outcome, but I realized that what’s important is the transformation that happens during the process.  Losing creates a platform for learning and a great opportunity for growth.  It takes great confidence to smile and congratulate the other team on their win and great character to adjust your attitude into a positive one.  It also promotes humility – the person that can laugh at his shortcomings is fun to be around.  In addition, for Christians we know that loss makes us dependent on God and hopeful that He will provide according to His will.  Loss makes us vulnerable and more likely to seek God and be open to Him.  We have Job’s example of loss to the grandest scale, yet the process of Job’s losses makes him utterly dependent on God.  We learn more through loss than we do through winning.  In the end, Job’s faith increases and God rewards him tenfold.  Similarly, God wants us to become better versions of ourselves and sometimes He uses loss as a method of education.  I know that through the death of my brother I transformed into a better person and became a believer.  I know that through my bipolar disorder I became dependent on God for healing and value others that are struggling with disabilities.  I know that through the most painful experiences and losses my faith grew and some of my bad qualities metamorphosed into godly virtues.  Of course, when I am going through the fire it’s hard to smile, but as I continue to grow in godliness I hope one day I will reach the stage in me that will confront loss with happiness and complete trust in God.
Our Awesome Team.
Celebrating our loss and my Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment