Thursday, November 3, 2016

All Saints Day: Making New Traditions

It has been such a beautiful week continuing old traditions and making new ones.  This year I realized that I put a lot of emphasis on Halloween and the Day of the Dead and kind of skim through All Saints Day.  I know it’s a day of obligation so I attend Mass, but I don’t have a personal way of celebrating that day.  After doing some research I got a few ideas from home schooling moms that I hope to implement in years to come.  On Tuesday, my nephew and I made a banner to decorate our door during the month of November.  It was really easy to make.  I printed images of various saints to color, then we glued the colored prints to rectangles of cardstock, connected them with a ribbon and hung it up on my front door.  My nephew doesn’t find coloring very exciting now that he’s a little older, so I bought small carrot cakes to coax him into participating- treats not only work with animals (smile).  While we were working on the banner we had a really good discussion about the saints.  He hadn’t realized that Saint Valentine, Saint Patrick and Saint Nicolas are Catholic saints and he was extremely disappointed that I didn’t print out images of them to color.  Afterward, I pulled a tray of puffy, mini, carrot cakes (sorry we ate them before I could snap a picture) to which my sister asked, “What are celebrating today?” 

“You can thank the saints,” I said, “It’s their feast day.”
Later, I made my way to mass.  I have a really bad cold and I was so tired I was tempted to miss it, but am so glad I made the effort.  I went to a parish that I normally don’t visit because it had a service at an hour that worked with my schedule.  It was a bilingual service and the priest that celebrated spoke the best Spanish I have ever heard a Vietnamese person speak.  He had no accent and I was able to understand him perfectly – I wondered if he has lived in Latin America?  I was so delighted by the sound of his perfect Spanish and enjoying the service so much with its great music selections; then I got to hear the Sermon on the Mount proclaimed (in perfect Spanish)!  This Gospel reading and I have a beautiful history (SMILE). 
An aside: During the week that followed my brother’s passing – as we organized the funeral and burial, we were asked what we wanted the tombstone to say.  My family who knows my passion for words turned to me.  I remember going into his room with my bible in hand and asking God to help me.  I opened it to the Sermon on the Mount and one of the verses just totally stood out from the rest and I knew I had found the words.  Thus, every time I hear this gospel proclaimed (especially during Mass) I get such a happy feeling knowing with certainty that my brother is with God.
Yesterday, Dollar visiting his uncle.


I was thinking happy thoughts as the reading ended knowing that I was in the presence of all the saints including my brother - when this perfect-Spanish-speaking Father delivered one of the best homilies.  I can’t do it justice.  I am not sure if it was his jovial voice, his infectious energy, the personal testimony he shared, but I left the service changed.  As I drove home, I couldn’t stop thinking of his homily of the joy I felt in my heart because of what I had just experienced.  He helped me understand the festivity that gets sandwiched in between two more popular celebrations- in a way that I hadn’t looked at it before.  He helped my definition of “church” expand and this expansion filled me with hope.  I am part of this huge family that includes those in this world, our dead and those in heaven and it expands over time.  We are ALL connected! I know this is catechesis 101, but the way he explained it took this wisdom from my head to my heart.  It transformed the doctrine to life.  My little eureka lightbulb lit brightly, this light illuminated me all the way home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment