Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween: Catholic Edition

Happy Hallows’ Eve.  It was quite a busy weekend at the Penny household: getting the candy ready for evangelization, carving pumpkins, putting the finishing touches on Dollar’s costume, attending the Fall Fest at my parish…  While these activities might seem superficially pagan – they are fun activities that bring us closer to God each year.  I am of the train of thought that Halloween needs to be taken back by Catholics.  Maybe it’s the preschool teacher in me, the one that used to sing songs to teach the letters of the alphabet or the high school teacher in me that used parts of “The Simpsons” episodes as great lead-ins to discussions on poetry and classical literature.


Learning is fun. 
God is fun.
 
Last week in my class, we learned about the domestic church and how “we become virtuous by being engaged, at as many levels as possible with other people who live the life of virtue.”  Other people help us in our process of sanctification as do the activities that we do together.  I want my nephew to have a positive experience of his Catholic Church, of his Christian faith, of God.  Thus, we have our yearly seasonal traditions. 
We come together and we mark our candy with “Jesus’ loves you” stickers.  Sometimes we have really meaningful discussions while we work, other times we race to see who can tag the most candy in a minute.  This year, one of my nephew’s friends joined us and it was such a treat because he got to explain our traditions to her; “You never put stickers on your candy? We always do because we want more people to know about God.”  My heart did little summersaults because my catechesis is working, he gets it!     
Every year he decides on a pumpkin design to carve and as we carve we read the “instructions” for carving a pumpkin, “The Pumpkin Gospel,” a glow-in-the-dark picture book that describes how God transforms us into beautiful creations.  On Saturday, he read it out loud to his friend then explained to her how God takes out all the bad stuff and fills us with good stuff.  This year it’s all about his favorite game (Minecraft) luckily the characters are boxy figures which are quite easy to reproduce so I am still the auntie who can do anything.  The pumpkin turned out great and this year for the first time in his young life, he carved it all by himself!      
Read book and begin carving!
 Happy carvers.
I drew the design & he brings it to life!

Finished product!
Sunday, we attended Fall Fest at our parish in full blown saint costumes.  This year he went as John the Baptist because he wanted to learn more about the patron of the mission we created earlier in the year.  I happen to be the only adult that also dresses up to the event.  This year I was finally able to wear my Saint Cecilia costume out in public to the festivity, I always get a lot of compliments or weird looks from parents who have lost their child-like spirit (smile)… 

 Creepy Crawlers Show.
 Even Father gets in the fun!
Our new friend Little Mustard.
 Saint Cecilia & John the Baptist. 
One fat frog.

Maybe I just have a gift for adding “a spoonful of sugar” to make activities more meaningful.  Or maybe I have learned that God truly is everywhere not just in spiritual books or places; “For where two or more are gather in my name, there I am in the midst of them….”  Am not sure how much my nephew actually learns through these moments, but I hope that as he grows up he remembers them with great affection.  Have a Happy Halloween!         

No comments:

Post a Comment