Thursday, October 20, 2016

God's Funny Sense of Humor

Last week, I mentioned that I wanted to give you a tour of my new diocese… I love the location it’s beautifully built, it has so many points of focus.  The thing that I love most is that it has these larger than life biblical sculptures throughout, they serve as great meditation sources...  The first time I visited the campus, when we were both not Catholic, I was impressed by its architectural beauty.  I was there to see their annual Christmas play, even in the dark of the night the campus looked absolutely radiant.  They used to put on two elaborate plays during the year one for Christmas and one for Easter, the plays were so fantastically put together that people from all over the world came to watch.  The campus itself was like a Christian tourist spot that yearly brought many curious travelers with cameras in hand.  Later, I discovered that the church began as a drive-thru location, so that people would come, park and without getting out of their cars hear the sermon.  Fast-Christianity anyone? Yet, the church grew too quickly and accumulated a lot of debt eventually filling for bankruptcy.  I found this out when I wanted to take my parents to see the Nativity play and I was told the performances were on hold indefinitely.  Apparently they were unable to pay the actors and animal dealers and were going through serious lawsuits.  I had been attending their Sunday services, taking bible studies and was considering joining the church.  On Christmas Eve, my parents accompanied me and we went to a service that closed with snow falling from its ceilings and everyone in attendance got a complete, porcelain nativity souvenir.  My parents though impressed by the wealth of the church, said they still preferred their Catholic Church.  Yet, I continued going because I enjoyed the spectacle and the great preaching.  Until, one Sunday we were introduced to an Argentine preacher who would be taking over the Spanish speaking community.  He was a really big deal (extremely famous) in Argentina and had a very impressive resume- so the Cathedral couldn’t stop raving about what a great acquisition he was to the church.  Yet, when he began speaking he began bashing on Catholics and I was so turned off that I didn’t listen to anything else he said.  I couldn’t believe that a leader of such a reputable church (with such an impressive background) would begin by attacking other people of faith.  That was the last time I went to a protestant church before I went home to the Catholic Church…  I had forgotten about the Crystal Cathedral with all its splendor, until I was told that our Catholic Church was in negotiations about purchasing the property.     
Now that it’s ours and that my Diocese has relocated to the new Catholic Christ Cathedral I get to enjoy the campus on almost a weekly basis.  God is really funny!  Never doubt His sense of humor!  I look at Him and I remind Him of how close I was to joining this church. 
He smirks. 
I smile,  impressed by His ability to convert even Fast-Christian-Tourist locations.  
Yesterday, I was sitting in one of the gardens lost in meditation and contemplation.  When a thought occurred.  The Cathedral is being gutted out and completely transformed from the inside to make it appropriate for Catholic worship.  Like me, the Cathedral is undergoing major internal renovation.  Everything inside has been taken apart and only those appropriate parts (like the organ) will be kept everything else will be replaced.  I love the Christ Cathedral more now because we have so much in common - we are even experiencing growing pains together! 



Most class days I like to go early and spend some time in quiet solitude in one of its gardens.  Yesterday, I sat listening to the running water in the area where the “Whoever is without sin among you, cast the first stone,” sculpture rests.  Someday I hope I can give you an actual in person tour and share more about my adventures in my journey towards the Catholic Church, for now enjoy the pictures.    

No comments:

Post a Comment