Monday, October 17, 2016

Weekend Adventures

“Good mornin’, good mornin’, It’s great to stay up late, good mornin’, good mornin’ to you…” I begin singing the lyrics to my favorite song from my all-time favorite musical, “Singing in the Rain.”  It’s actually quite an appropriate song this morning (smile) because it’s raining here in California!  Maybe watching the movie in an amphitheater over the weekend was equivalent to a rain dance - either way we have rain!  On Friday, I invited two of my friends to a special viewing of the classic film at a local community venue.  As it happens neither had seen the movie, and I had never seen it on the big screen so we were all in for a special treat.  Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O’Connor were as superb as I remembered them, maybe even better because film is always so much more fantastic when shared with an audience.  We all laughed quite a bit inspired by the comedy of the scenes and awesome wit the dialogue offered.  My friends loved the movie and I fell in love with it all over again.  What a special night!
The following day I attended our annual Diocesan Ministries Celebration with some of my RCIA teammates and friends from Jovenes Para Cristo.  I was able to sit in on some lectures in Spanish and some in English- and guess who I spotted?  Father Spitzer!  Well, I knew ahead of time that I was going to see him because I did sign up for his lecture, but I arrived early to his talk and as per tradition a picture of us was snapped.  I had the pleasure of talking to him for quite a bit!  I was able to tell him how much I love his work because science and reason were huge reasons I left the Catholic Church and his work has helped me reconcile those areas.  He even used me as an example in his talk! Yep, I inspired one minute of his lecture! LOL He also shared that he’s going in for a retinal examination on November 14th to see if he qualifies for the procedure so let’s keep him in our prayers.  Maybe the next time I see him he will be able to see his number one fan (smile)! 
The conference kept me busy all day, I didn’t get home until around six PM, and then I had to make my way to my best friend’s birthday dinner.  I was exhausted, but manage to be there for a couple hours before heading home and crashing.  I am an introvert and I didn’t have any time between one event and the other to be alone for a bit and to gather my energy so I think I was a bit of grouch at the dinner.  Actually, I know I was a grouch.  I spent a whole day wrapped in learning my faith, and when it was time to put it into practice I failed.  Getting lost on my way to the venue didn’t help either (I am horrible with directions, I ALWAYS get lost).  So, when I arrived I was mad because I was late and I hate being late.  Big lesson learned – do less.  One of my strongest love languages is quality time, spending time with those I love is my way of showing others how much I care.  A lot of the time I try to be everywhere with everyone, but I am so depleted on energy that I can’t give the best of me.  Which then makes me feel crappy because even though I show up I am not my happy self.  Lesson learned, I think I need to learn to schedule less.


Thus, Sunday, I crashed! I didn’t do anything.  It was so nice not having any activities, no place that I needed to be just time to be alone.  It was nice cleaning and doing housework in quiet solitude - well with a content dog shadow following me around (smile).  Time flies when you are an adult, before I knew it the weekend was over and it was time to begin a whole new week full of possibilities….    

No comments:

Post a Comment