Thursday, October 6, 2016

Celebrating Saint Francis all Weekend Long

Recently, I, attended an All Sons and Daughters concert at Calvary Chapel, the band is promoting their new album “Poets and Saints.”  Before the concert began the manager of the band (who is also a pastor of a church in Tennessee) gave an introduction about how the band toured Europe for inspiration.  It was in Italy that they learned about Saint Francis of Assisi and he became one of the saints that inspired some of the music for the album.  The pastor shared a brief bio of the life of Saint Francis to the non-Catholic audience and I found that extremely exciting.  Am not sure if it’s the Pope Francis effect, but to witness this retelling of the life of a very much Catholic person in a protestant church – and to hear the pastor gush about Saint Francis while challenging the audience to holiness made me think that unity in the Body of Christ is possible.  Saint Francis continues his missionary work, even after death.  As the pastor challenged us to be more like Saint Francis the audience roared in agreement.  Isn’t that neat! The concert began my celebration of my favorite Saint.
On Friday, I attended a Saint Luke Productions play about the life of Saint Francis.  The theatre company is known for taking the life of one saint and featuring a solo performance of the saint’s life.  Bishop Vann saw the Franciscan Drama when he had just been ordained, and he had been pushing for Saint Luke Productions to bring this play to our diocese.  Well, it finally came and during the perfect weekend, the weekend before Saint Francis’ Feast Day!  My friend and I attended the show on opening night and it was so well done.  There was music and skipping. For an hour we were transported back in time and invited to journey with our little brother.  I love theatre, but the productions that Saint Luke puts on are more than just a play- they are like windows into the lives of the saints.  I peek in and engage in so many levels that when the curtain drops I have so much to digest and ponder.  After the performance while I drove home my heart was content thinking of Saint Francis and what a happy, energetic disposition he has.  How he finds goodness and reasons to sing and praise God in everything.
The next day, my local parish hosted its annual blessing of the animals and I took my little, furry pal to get doused in holy water.  This year, the parish offered pet sitting services so that pet owners could participate in the Eucharistic Celebration before the animal blessing.  I was a little worried that my baby would be barking incessantly, but per babysitter he didn’t utter a sound.  Since, I discovered the pet blessing ritual, my dog and I have tried to be in attendance annually.  However, the service at Holy Spirit Church is by far the best one.  It’s small and intimate which makes it extra special.  Deacon Phil does such a great job!  He begins with a few opening prayers, then one by one he goes around calling each pet by name (reminding us of how Adam had the job of naming all the animals) then sprinkles holy water and blesses both the pet and the owner.  Afterwards,  he prays a concluding prayer and off we go a little holier (smile).
On the eve of his feast day, I attended my first Transitus service.  After reading about the Transitus of Saint Francis on a friend’s blog and finding that a nearby Franciscan parish was hosting the vigil, I was super curious to attend.  In my ignorance, I thought it was part of the Eucharistic celebration; yet, when I arrived I was given a candle and led into a lit by candlelight parish.  In front of the altar was a Franciscan cloak position in a manner that looked as if a body was being risen to heaven.  There were many candles giving such a beautiful glow and baskets of bread on a table.  The setting, music and readings connected me with the last days of my beloved saint.  It really felt like I was witnessing his passing from this life into the next and I was so involved in the experience that I had to stop myself from crying.  The use of the bells to signify his death was so powerful, I really felt like he had died again.  Then the organ plays a Christmas-morning-like tune to signify Saint Francis entrance into the Kingdom of God and the sadness is replaced by such joy and happiness.   This is such a great devotion- I can’t believe that I didn’t know about it sooner.

After, the service we had some refreshments and a cake in honor of his Feast Day and that’s how I celebrated the life of this blog’s patron saint. Paz y bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment