Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Time to be Thankful

I am an immigrant, so we haven’t always celebrated Thanksgiving in my home.  It wasn’t until I was at a friend’s house one Thanksgiving night that she asked me what my parents and family were doing that night.  I didn’t like my reply, “my parents are at home and my siblings are at friend’s homes because we don’t typically celebrate Thanksgiving.”  It was a long drive home that night and I kept picturing my parents alone in the dark living room by themselves while their children all spent time with other families on the traditional American holiday.  This horrible feeling of shame, of sadness took over and that day I vowed that we would start celebrating Thanksgiving as a family.  The following year I learned to cook a turkey and slowly how to make the whole meal.  Since, every year I cook the entire Thanksgiving feast- it’s actually a really simple dinner, but because I don’t often cook my family makes a huge deal about it (smile).  One thing I have always done is decorate our home and tree on the day of.  It was something my brother-in-heaven and I used to do together on that day.  Now because I cook, I try to do the decorating during the long weekend - my dad and nephew love to help me.  We still will try to hang the lights outside to work off our Thanksgiving dinner as to not break tradition (smile). 
A few years ago we also, started attending Mass.  I usually, put the turkey in the oven and off we go.  I love going to the parish where I help with RCIA because they have a trilingual service, which happens to be my favorite service of the year.  The three communities English, Spanish and Vietnamese come together and the church is beyond packed- so much so that if one doesn’t go early one will stand for the entire celebration.  This year, am hoping to go early enough to be towards the front pews because the Vietnamese youth always does a traditional, offering dance during the service.  It’s such a beautiful form of prayer, absolutely magical.  And to hear all of us together worship in various languages gives me chills!  It’s my November glimpse of heaven.

Before dinner, my family gathers together and we begin by doing a toast.  Each of us goes around the table and thanks God for whatever is in our heart and then we toast to Him.  We normally stay home because my sister visits her in-laws and then us.  Though my relatives do a big gathering in Riverside (where most live), we stay home so my sister and her family can be with us.  It’s a simple celebration, but we are a simple bunch.  How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment