Thursday, November 17, 2016

Advent: It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

On Sunday, a friend taught our RCIA students on the Catholic Liturgical Calendar.  As, I introduced the speaker I told my students how if they thought Mexican’s were festive people- they were about to find out that Catholics beat them!  No sooner had I hopped on the Catholic train than I realized that throughout the year we celebrate all types of neat occasions.  That certain traditions help to bring families together and to bring them together under God.  Like this coming Sunday we celebrate my favorite titles for Jesus, Cristo Rey, Christ the King.  We have arranged a great celebration for our students, with treats and the singing of the traditional militant Catholic song “Viva Cristo Rey.”  We will of course give a short summary of the Cristeros and the significance of our hymn.
At home I can’t wait to start our annual Advent Calendar.  Last year I bought on sale the Starbucks ornament Advent Calendar (always thrifty is my motto) and this year I have filled the baubles with yummy surprises for my nephew to discover.  After we read a part of the Christmas Story, from a chapter book, Child of the Promise, he will open his ornament and hang it on our tree!  I might be more excited than him (smile).  He really loves to do these things with me, sometimes I am so tired from my day’s work, but the kiddo searches for me and perseveres until we complete our daily goal.  During the reading of the Christmas Story he usually has a lot of good questions- as he’s getting older the questions often send me in search of the correct answers.  Though it’s a commitment to work on the calendar daily and sometimes we might miss a day, I want to enjoy these moments while I have my nephew’s interest.  My dog of course usually participates, by keeping a close eye on those treats, lest one falls down and he quickly picks it up with a lick (smile).
 Our local parish had a couple Advent devotionals for families, I'll see which one works best for us.
I love this chapter book it has beautiful artwork and great narratives of the Christmas story.

Another of our annual traditions is the Advent wreathe.  Last year, in after Christmas sales I got myself this really cool looking wreathe with the nativity scene (I collect Nativities so this was such a great find) and I just can’t wait to use it.  Usually, this is something that I try to do with my parents on Sundays.  We normally light the candle together and unite in prayer.  It’s something really simple, but it’s so cute because my dad always reminds me if I forget.  He has such a funny sense of humor and usually makes some joke about my forgetfulness and by the time we finish our prayer we are just so full of joy.

I am not married, nor do I have any kids- but even as a single person I have found that instituting some traditions into my life and the life of my loved ones makes waiting for Jesus so much more special.  The great thing is that they are so open and willing to try these traditions with me.  Sometimes, some of the activities that I propose tank, but I have found that for this time of year these two activities bring enjoyment and a deepening of faith for my pack.  Do you have any Advent traditions?               

No comments:

Post a Comment