Monday, November 21, 2016

Los Rios Ranch Apple Picking Birthday Review

“So, what are we doing for your birthday this year?” My sister asked.

“We are going apple picking,” I answered.  

She looked a little confused, but being my sister she knows that I usually steer from the typical birthday dinner in the direction of more creative options.  Most of my closest friends are married and have children so I wanted to do something inclusive of all ages.  My parents are recently retired and they want to go everywhere with me now, so I also wanted to do something they would enjoy too.  I had heard of Oak Glen through a coworker, but I was unsure about it because from where I live it’s almost two hours away.  Yet, I figured I would run it through my friends and see if they thought their children could handle the drive.  I have the best friends because they all agreed to jump into the apple picking adventure.
I must say, that I was still a little concerned since we were driving so far out for just a one day trip, but it was totally worth it.  My parents, like the kids, were in heaven because there was a petting zoo and they got to interact with goats, rabbits, pigs, hens… The whole lot of barn animals.  I was equally delighted because I love animals and seeing everyone participate in the fun filled my heart with gladness.  That was our first stop – the petting zoo.  The cool thing about this petting zoo is that it’s not like the city type of petting zoos where animals are fenced in, here they are in a rural setting in a very real farm environment.  For a five dollar entrance fee children and adults get a tray of veggies to go inside and feed the animals.  We all went in and played with our favorite farm animals, I got to hold the fluffiest rabbit!
 Feeding the animals.
Being silly!
Cute little goats.
My parents being cute!

Afterward, we headed to the U-Press Cider station where we got to fill a bucket full of all types of apples to make our own apple cider.  For a twenty-dollar fee we were given a huge bucket to fill with all types of apples that are grown on site.  Afterwards, the kids got their hands wet washing the apples before starting the juicing process.  It was really neat to learn in such a hands on way how juice is made, the children as well as the adults really enjoyed the process.  For lunch we all had a glass of the delicious apple cider we made- it was so yummy!
 Wash, wash, wash...
Press, press, press...
The finished product.

Tired from our labors we took a six dollar hayride around the entire Los Rios Ranch.  The farm sheriff was our tour guide and he shared a great deal about the history of the ranch, the various apples they grow, and the process of harvesting.  They have these really dark apples, almost black in color and he said that they were the inspiration for the Snow White apple in the Disney movie!  The adults appreciated the great information and beautiful terrain while the children enjoyed being pulled by horses.
To end our day we had a yummy BBQ lunch on site (prices are reasonable).  As we ate a folk band played some cool tunes that filled our lunch with delightful sounds.  Then, we enjoyed some birthday cake and presents.
 Live music.
Enjoying our picnic lunch. 
My awesome homemade cake!

While apple picking season had ended and there was no apple picking to be done, we still had such an amazing time and were able to taste most of the apple varieties grown on site.  I totally recommend it and felt like a post was necessary because when I was researching the location I couldn’t find a whole lot of information about it.  There’s also a store on the grounds with yummy treats.  Oak Glen is made up of many different farms, while we went to the biggest one- there’s others in the area that offer similar activities.  So, if you have a desire for a little fall fun Oak Glen is the place.   
Mi familia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment