Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Catholic Parishes Always Open

You know something that I always found fascinating about the Catholic Church, that the doors to parishes are always open.  If I want to begin my day with Mass and linger after to pray, if I want to swing by during my lunch hour, if I want to stop on my way home, or go say goodnight before I hit my bed the doors await open.  God is everywhere, no argument there, but when I step in a place of worship the aesthetics help my thoughts center on God.  As I step inside my hand mechanically searches for the holy water to bless myself, that small action begins this deep spiritual experience.  Though some parishes have chapels, I like to get myself comfortable in a pew in the main building first.  I love being alone in such a vast building because it makes me feel small and God bigger than life.  Most times I sit in silence, other times I pray or read the bible.  It’s just so nice to be there, alone and feel like I have God’s undivided attention.  Last night, I went directly to the Chapel because I really needed to be that much closer to God.  At the parish I went to, they had three large candles hanging from the ceiling above the tabernacle and it made me think of the trinity.  There I was feeling defeated and God was telling me that I am not alone, it was so healing to be surrounded by my triune God.  I prayed the rosary then sat in silence just lost in the pleasure of being in the presence of my omnipotent God. 
As I was leaving I stopped by to light a candle at the Virgen de Guadalupe image.  That’s another Catholic practice that is also very dear to me.  I love extending my prayer through the small action of lighting a candle on behalf of a person who I think needs it.  Sacramentals are special to me, I just love having solid ways to live out my faith.  I find it extremely interesting that the Catholic Church (in its wisdom) uses the physical world to help us enter into the spiritual.  The simplicity of lighting a candle helps me remember and understand more deeply the words of our Lord, “I am the Light of the world.”
Before I got to the door I noticed a statue of Saint Therese and I made my way over to her for a little bit.  She’s a saint that really inspires me and who I hold a special devotion.  I am so glad she was there last night because she helped me remember to be small.  She reminded me that she had challenges and trials in the convent with other sisters, but she always chose to be kind and endure the hurts.  She not only motivated me, but gave me such encouragement.
I know that many of us probably have never really thought much about our parishes being so available, but am so happy that the Catholic Church literally keeps an open door policy (smile).  Come in, pray and stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment