Thursday, November 10, 2016

Tips for Hosting a Small Bible Study/ Prayer Group

My home is my happy place as our homes should be to all of us; yet, when it comes to hosting it’s difficult for me to literally let people in.  To invite you in means that I am letting you see a side of me that few people see.  If I really trust you then I welcome you in whether my home is clean or a big mess.  Only a small number have that privilege, the majority of my hosting is usually planned and my house meticulously cleaned.  I think hosting for most people is a little stress inducing, that’s why a friend asked me to write a post with tips on hosting a small bible study/ prayer group at home.  First, know that the anxiety one feels is extremely normal and universal.  My best friend is a social butterfly, she is the opposite of me, extremely extroverted; yet, every time she hosts she gets wildly crazy.  Hosting is a position of service- of making sure others feel welcomed and are comfortable during the duration of the event; thus, being a good hostess requires a little practice, patience and perseverance.  In addition to prayer.  Praying for me about things that challenge me really help me get to the root of my insecurities and find solutions for those “fears” ahead of time.  When I hosted my first bible study group, I was so nervous and almost cancelled every day before the big night, but thanks to the plan below I got through it and it turned into a Lent and Advent yearly hosting tradition!  
Prayer- Pray for the members of your group, if they've expressed a specific need lift them up to the Holy Spirit.  And pray for all your group that God will guide the gatherings and open the participants hearts to spiritual growth, renewal and new experiences.
Hospitality- Prepare your home for the arrival of your group by making it warm and inviting.  Usually a clean house, especially an orderly room where you will all gather and a supplied restroom will do the trick (smile).  I am a bit of a holiday nut, and I like to decorate my home seasonally appropriate.  Usually, I will put a plate of snacks on a pretty bowl.  These details usually spark conversation as we wait for all the people to arrive.  Making small conversation as people arrive is good, “how was your day,” is a great question.  I am also a hugger and usually I do three things simultaneously: welcome, hug and ask about their day while leading the person in.   
Food & Drinks- Our first stop is my kitchen where my guests can grab a cup of coffee, tea and a treat.  My groups are usually women only, so after our first meeting they usually offer to bring the snack next time (I just have really awesome friends).  If they offer let them- it’s a double good: one, you won’t have to stress about the snack the next time and you allow the person to be a helper.  Helpers are good people to have in our life.
Clear Expectations- Set the time and day of the week and stick to it.  My group meets Tuesday nights from 6-8:30 PM, some usually arrive a few minutes early and most nights we run a bit later.  After everyone (or most have arrived) I gather the flock.  It's important to begin and end on time.  The first night I explain how the group will function.   My bible study night consists of opening prayer, out loud readings of each of the upcoming Sunday readings, discussion of readings and then closing prayer to end the night.  Usually, I pray the opening prayer and then ask for volunteers to read the readings.  After each reading, I ask: “what does this reading say to you?”  On the first night I offer the first reply to my question as an example.  It’s ok to have silences as people are thinking and it’s ok if not everyone participates.  As the leader you just have to play it by ear and move the discussion as you feel the Spirit leading.  My goal is to get through the three Sunday readings by the end of the night and usually in a couple of hours that is doable.  To end the night we usually pray in one voice a prayer that I have printed out for all of us.  
Confidentiality- On the first night I also read from a guide that my parish provided the first time I hosted a group, which talks about keeping the things we share in group confidential.  Sometimes, the discussions in my small groups have gotten very personal and it’s important that people feel safe and know that what we share wont’ be gossiped about.  I also stress that we do not meet to offer unwanted personal opinions or counseling.  I think after initial prayer, it's good to go over the rules and organization on the first night.  This way people will have an understanding of what the gatherings will be like.

A good host, is also a good leader who guides the night with a good attitude.  So, imagine the perfect small group night and try to recreate it and personalize it to who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment