Monday, April 6, 2015

Seven Churches Visitations

Good morning! After taking Holy week as a time of silence and reflection I am back and so refreshed.  Sometimes we need a break even from the things we love in order to get inspired, regain a renewed appreciation and simply to hear the guiding voice of God.  This week I want to share with you my experience during this year’s Paschal Triduum, starting with Holy Thursday… A friend introduced me to a Catholic tradition of visiting seven churches following the Mass of the Lord’s Supper to pray in front of each church’s Blessed Sacrament.  It’s a great way of accompanying Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Usually two Stations of the Cross are prayed and reflected on at each of the seven churches.  Yet, as I was about to embark on my journey a friend sent me an email from a priest asking us to reflect on the last seven sayings of Jesus on the cross and I thought how fitting to reflect on one saying at each stop too.  In addition, my brother decided to join me – so, in one day the Holy Spirit helped me organize my meaningful trip.  As we got in the car, worship music helped us get in a prayerful spirit.
  1. Saint Vincent de Paul Catholic Church-  "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."     
  2. Holy Spirit Catholic Church- "Truly, I say to you, today you will be in paradise." 
  3. Saint Barbara Catholic Church - "Woman, behold your son. Son behold your mother."
  4. Our Lady of La Vang Catholic Church - "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"    
  5. Our Lady of the Pillar Catholic Church- "I thirst."  
  6. Saint Anne Catholic Church- "It is finished."      
  7. Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church- "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."           
The night was such a lovely experience- I felt so connected to God throughout my entire journey.  At our Lady of La Vang parish I arrived while the Vietnamese community prayed the rosary in their native tongue- they chant their prayers beautifully - so much so that I closed my eyes and was transported into heaven (smile).  This is my second year visiting seven churches and I absolutely love the tradition! It's just such a blessing to aesthetically notice how each community prepares the altar for our God and to also see our brothers from many cultures worship: Jesus is the glue that keeps us all together! Gracias guapo for introducing me to this most beautiful tradition.   

No comments:

Post a Comment