Monday, April 27, 2015

Mission San Luis Rey de Francia

On Saturday, my best friend and I went on a spontaneous road trip to Oceanside to visit San Luis Rey Mission. Though, California boasts of twenty-one missions I’ve only had the pleasure of visiting seven (to date) which means I am a third way done (smile)!  The missions were established by Franciscan priests to spread Christianity among the natives (from 1769-1823); yet, each mission has its own personal history.  They also vary in size and architectural design.  San Luis Rey is very well maintained and a very active mission.  I liked that color was added via a light blue dome on top of the campanario (smile) it gives the building personal character.  On occasion, I enjoy taking small pilgrimages to holy sites in California when I have the time, they are like miniature retreats that fill my soul with strength to face daily struggles.  It’s my way of keeping or rather feeding the light of Christ in me.  This, visit was really special because my best friend came along with me (though she’s not a practicing Catholic).  I love it when she comes with me on spiritual activities (smile).  She’s one of the few non-believers in my life that enjoys joining me on faith related events as she has done so many times in the past.  I sense in her the stirrings of God calling and her desire to respond…  On Saturday, while I prayed in the chapel she listened to the friars’ chant and was very moved by it…

Inside the Chapel.

As I am having trouble writing this morning and since I took many pictures this post will be saturated with images of our delightful trip.        
Lit a candle for a special intention. 
The mission & us.
Saint Francis taking care of the very real turtles ans Koi.
Greetings from my buddy Saint Francis.
Silliness behind giant cacti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment