Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Easter Vigil

I was sharing with a friend that the Easter Vigil lasts three hours and her response was that of many, “it must have been boring, I would have been falling asleep.”  I remember sharing with the elected that the service would begin at 11PM and end at 2AM and their response was similar to that of my friend.  The first time I attended an Easter Vigil, I too was afraid that I would snore in the middle of the celebration- yet I don’t recall yawning once.  The service is really beautiful full of rituals and meaning.  This year it was extra special for me because the people receiving their Sacraments were the students I have worked with for the past year.  I felt like a proud momma during graduation day (smile).  It was also special because Father was ordained three years ago and this was the first Easter Vigil that he was officiating and the first one in American soil (he was transferred from a parish in Mexico).  He was so cute and nervous.  Before the celebration began we sat with him in the rectory going over the process of the ritual and he was terribly nervous, but would crack jokes that as long as he remembered the water and oil our spiritual kids would receive their Sacraments.  Father was a natural, the Holy Spirit totally guided him and he did an excellent job the entire service was free from errors (smile)… By the end of Mass everyone had huge smiles, especially those who received their Sacraments.  The Holy Spirit radiated from their beings. 

We cannot love that which we do not know- and many miss out on the most joyful celebration of the year for fear of boredom and plain ignorance.  Sometimes pictures speak louder than words and today I want to share some shots I took during the service which to me capture the beauty and outstanding happenings of the one night a year the church goes all out in celebration of our risen Lord.  The readings and music could not be captured in pictures, but they too were excellent!  

Easter Fire preparing to light the Paschal Candle
Service of the Light
 After the Liturgy of the Word, baptismal font is blessed.
 Christian Initiation: Sacraments of Baptism, Communion and Confirmation

You can see the Holy Spirit radiate in their beings.

It was such a great night- so inspiring and a complete faith renewal for those of us that have been walking with the Lord just a tiny bit longer.  Love needs to be fed or it too withers and dies- our faith needs moments like these that feed our soul and remind us that God is infinitely real and desires a constant growing relationship with each of us.  My spiritual kids begin this journey no longer alone or in ignorance, may God guide them and may they remain in Him por siempre.

No comments:

Post a Comment