Thursday, February 26, 2015

Developing Trust in God

My students, godparents, catechists & church leaders.

Earlier this month I was feeling a bit down over a personal trial, in a moment of courage I asked God to make me a blessing to someone that day.  As I opened my Facebook page – I was astonished by the many cries for help that are broadcasted every single day in this forum.  What really caught me was that people from my parish were hurting so deeply.  This world is full of people in a state of pain and Christians are not exempt.  A lot of the time pain is a leading reason that keeps us from God.  Nietzsche said bleakly, “Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.”  He’s right hope on its own is downright painful- but when you place that hope in God- the impossible is made possible.  Christians have a duty to rise above our circumstances and praise God when the Lord gives and when He takes away.  This is what identifies us from the secular world, that no matter the battle our hope in God is greater…  Holiness requires us to faithfully stand and be not shaken by oppression, illness or trouble.  To have a faith so constant that whether well fed or hungry our hope remains in the Lord.  And the only way to grow in  God is by surviving those trials and tribulations with a smile and complete trust in Him. 
Sometimes pain is the best classroom to achieve godly character.  Years ago when my relationship of six years came to an end, a few days later my grandpa passed away, and a couple months after my brother took his life.  That period taught me that things can get worse quickly and that no matter the depth of the pain God can heal anything.  There’s this great song in Spanish that I love (“Yo Quiero” with Angelica Maria and Vicente Fernandez) - it’s a bit prideful, but there’s this great line where she sings to her beloved, “I lost my mother who I idolized – losing you won’t be difficult.”  The message is that after surviving that first huge loss that marks your life (mine being the loss of my brother) our pain tolerance and experience with hurt matures.  It matures to the point where God is our refuge and if He delivered us before He will ALWAYS. 
This Lenten time is a time to be more generous to the poor.  Usually we think of monetary or material gifts, but, more importantly it's a time to give to the spiritually desolate- to those who don't know God or those who do, but are having difficulty trusting in His promises.  Love is the best ammunition for spiritual battle.  Earlier in the month when I was feeling really beat I told my sister and my mom that I needed a lot of hugs- and whenever they bumped into me they embraced me.  The message is still true what the world needs now is love- but don’t waste your time looking to be loved - be a lover first.  To my friends bitter and hurting take care of the lot that God has placed under your responsibility and trust that while you work for the Kingdom – God is working for the good of those who love Him. God knows your needs and hears your prayers…



Am not sure how I got into these ramblings (smile)- when what I really wanted to share was about how much I love working with RCIA.  Have I told you that I have dual residency- I belong to two different parishes.  The first is my welcome back to the Catholic faith parish where I spent the first years of my formation and where I help out with the RCIA program in the Hispanic community.  The other is where I belong to the young adult group and am learning my faith en ingles (smile).  This is my first year helping with the RCIA program and I absolutely love it!  On Tuesday, we celebrated the Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion.  The ritual was so beautiful- God seriously is the best wooer!  As I too learn my faith alongside my students I realize that no one leaves the Catholic faith when one truly discovers its richness and essence.  In helping shape this group of adults in Christ – I too am being transformed and falling daily more in love with my heavenly Father…  The point is that while you wait on the Lord you can kick and complain or you can trust that He will provide and focus your energy in doing good for others- your choice (wink).

No comments:

Post a Comment