Friday, November 21, 2014

Love One Another

The Epistles are some of my favorite books in the Bible. I especially have an affinity to letters to the Corinthians and Romans. As I have been studying Christian courtship these last couple of weeks I realize that in my excitement to share some of the things I have learned - I forgot to allow these ideas to first fester in my mind. To test them and sift the real meaning out this philosophy on dating with a purpose. In addition, to reading the book on courtship, I have also been studying scripture and have been listening to audio studies- all on love. Today, I want to trust you with what is in my heart, the profound attitudes of my being and as we near Thanksgiving I also want to look at giving. This is the season to be extra thankful, but also a time to be extra giving. I want to look at giving in the light of love. I have been meditating on “let love be genuine… be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above ourselves.” All love is genuine and perfectly personal. Yet, sometimes we cheapen it by spending more time trying to protect ourselves from being hurt and looking to be loved instead of actually loving others. We place conditions and allow our emotions to dictate who we love. The people that make us feel good or the ones that we get a lot from are usually the ones we open our hearts and our lives to. Yet, the greatest commandment is to love everyone! Love God and love your neighbor- Christianity is really that simple: a saint is someone who only has love in his/her heart!  
God tells us that He is present when love is shared among us. No one has seen God, but when two people manifest their love for one another God is there! Yet, we complicate love with our fears and insecurities... God doesn’t tell us love only your significant other- He tells us to love our neighbors as ourselves- that means love everyone- equally. Yet, in Christian circles men and women put up all these walls in an attempt to protect their hearts. Some won’t talk to people of the opposite sex for fear that the person will get the wrong idea. Others won’t talk to each other for fear that gossip will spread- yet God tells us to love one another in brotherly love. Love others as you would your brother or sister. Let me ask you: do brothers and sisters go to lunch together; do they talk to one another; do they send messages to one another; do they do things together? Of course they do- that builds and fortifies the relationship! At the singles conference I went to earlier in the year, a man came up to me to dance. After dancing a few songs with him I thanked him and went on my merry way- until a sister-in-Christ stopped to ask me if I liked him? I politely told her he was dancing alone on the dance floor and that he had attended the conference alone and I was showing kindness. During the same conference another man danced with me and held my hand as we danced and again another sister-in-Christ came up to me and asked me if we had exchanged numbers since he held my hand for so long- he was holding my hand because we were taking dance lessons! Another time I was trying to encourage a male friend who had just gotten out of a relationship to continue coming to church activities fearing he would leave the faith and I felt the stare of everyone in our young adult community upon me. Am sure I am not alone in this unhealthy curiosity some Catholics have over our love lives. I believe there’s a great need to be converted in the Catholic realm so we understand that friendships between men and women in the church are pleasing to God and not all will be romantically based.

I myself need to be converted in love probably more than anyone. I need to put my pride aside and genuinely love others without fearing that they will get the wrong idea through my friendliness. I also need to learn to calm my heart and enjoy love one day at a time without losing my peace craving emotional intimacy with men too quickly. To allow friendships to develop at their pace and to trust that God is in control. Love is wanting the best for the beloved- yet, I forget this all the time and start thinking selfish thoughts like what am I getting out of this relationship? People are God’s most valued creation and just as He loved us (so much that He gave His Son for our salvation) we too need to be ready to sacrifice for the betterment of others. We need to learn to suffer and to love like He first loved us because love doesn't always feel good. A lot of the time love won’t feel good at all- in fact the more we love the more we die to self. Biblical love sounds more painful (than pleasurable) and no easy feat, but to love and to be loved gives our life oxygen.

Last night I went to confession at Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church and they have this beautiful mural at the front of the parish. Jesus is life size and 3D and as I meditated on this most beautiful image I closed my eyes and felt Jesus reaching down and caressing my face. Feeling his hand upon my cheek I felt my body warmly covered in His love. Earlier I had been praying with Saint Francis and I had been meditating on holy foolishness and the more I consider it the more I want to be a fool in love. I want to love others without allowing my pride, my fear or what others might murmur to have any effect on my actions. I want to love without seeking to be loved even when it hurts- because if I should only seek love's pleasure I am unworthy of love. God is such a patient teacher and though I pass through the shadow of death I will fear no evil; but, remain firm in His love which forgives all, hopes all and wants to always leave self and bless others. Let’s give love this thanksgiving and be thankful that God gave us such a beautiful and holy capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment