Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Come As You Are

 
Sons And Daughters Band

A lot of the battles take place in our minds- sometimes our minds are enemy territory.  Especially for people like me who have mental disabilities… When I joined my first religious group, some of the members would tell me that if I had enough hope - God would heal me completely- no longer requiring therapy nor medication- and while I completely believe that God can heal me – I also know that sometimes He allows things to remain because He’s more concerned with our sanctification.  Yesterday, I had such a great conversation with my sister-in-Christ and God spoke to me through her in a way that shook all the sadness right out.  Suffering brings us to the cross and at the cross we can offer all of it to God in prayer for the needs of others.  In Christ our suffering serves a greater purpose (it is redeemed) it’s not pointless nor do we have to carry it.  We must however, make the decision to surrender - to trust that as bleak as life looks the sun will shine through the moment we lift our gaze away from self and into the hopeful face of God.  God is light and He will overcome any gloom, much like turning on a lamp triumphs over darkness.  Yet, it requires dominion of mind and complete confidence in God…
David Crowder

On Sunday, I went to a David Crowder concert- this song came on and the lyrics just jumped out: “earth has no sorrow that heaven can’t heal.” Isn’t that the truth! (Smile)  There’s nothing in this world that God cannot help out with, but we must stop asking why?  No answer will ever satisfy the “why” of pain- but when we learn to understand that God is allowing it for an important reason then suffering edifies and builds us into closer images of God.  Yesterday, I was walking through Central park with my doggie and having such a great conversation with God that I recalled the verse: “all things (whether good, difficult or painful) God works for the good of those who love Him.”  So, whatever the reason for my illness or for your struggles God is at work- trust in Him and rest in His promises.  Fill your mind and life with His beautiful words.  Read the Bible and fight the negativity with those beautiful truths that He left us - as our inheritance.

After the walk with my better half- I stopped by my parish for perpetual adoration and after praying the rosary, and placing all my prayers at God’s feet- I opened the Bible to the healing of the lame man.  If you are not familiar with this biblical account- there was a crippled man lying down on his mat outside the temple begging.  Peter and John passed by him and the crippled man asked Peter for money: “Then Peter said, “silver and gold I have none, but such as I have I give thee, In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.””  The crippled man was healed and he jumped and danced… As I meditated on this reading- I realized that sometimes we ask God for so little and He in His omniscience gives according to our need.  This man just wanted a few coins to eat and survive one more day and Peter through the grace of God cures him enabling and providing a better life! There’s many biblical accounts where God shows us His power and His desire to dispense His gifts on us; but, a lot of the time we are so focused on what we desire that we block ourselves from receiving all He wants to offer.  Father Sergio said in his homily that if we saw all the graces that God wants to gives us, but we reject we would cry!
"Come broken hearted Let rescue begin"

No comments:

Post a Comment