Thursday, September 8, 2016

Penny, Dollar and Saint Francis

In the theme of things that refresh my soul- spending time with my furry boy does miracles.  I was reading an article about how science discovered that dogs can understand language and have a developmental intelligence of a two-year-old.  After years of study, scientist have discovered that dogs comprehend many words and also the tone of their master.  I find these studies a little lame because all dog owners know this and much more (smile).  Now, don’t hold this against me, but I am a dog person who also through circumstance became a bird mom and from a young age my dog has been conditioned to chase cats away and keep his bird brother safe.  I give the command in Spanish, “gatos, gatos,” and my babe runs out into the yard ready for the chase.  He always returns with the proudest grin of a job well done.  I joke that he’s trilingual, because he understands English, Spanish and Dog.  When I am around animals (especially mine) my soul is utterly happy.
 Sometimes I need to bribe him with treats.
Sometimes he needs a lecture, "just one picture please."

After my reversion, I had two areas that I was very hesitant even resistant in terms of my Catholic faith: Mary and the saints.  I felt that both distracted me from my worship of God, I even told a priest once during confession that I felt guilty asking Mary or the saints for intercession because I was afraid to make Jesus jealous.  Though he gave me a great explanation, it took quite some time before I converted in these areas.  My first conversion was in regards to the saints, the priest told me that they were my friends and just like I would ask any friend for prayer I could do the same with these holy people.  Yet, I wasn’t convinced until I met Saint Francis of Assisi.  He came to me through song.  It was around 2007, I was in a very dark place, and had just started attending Jovenes Para Cristo meetings.  One night we were asked to close our eyes and the choir began singing the “Peace Prayer.”  The words had such power over my spirit and I remember sobbing a good snotty cry.  Afterward I discovered that hymn was inspired by Saint Francis and my curiosity led me to learn more about this Catholic man.  I found his life absolutely fascinating, but what I most loved was that we had so much in common.  Things that (at the time) I would not associate with God.  Little things like the stories of him speaking to birds and saving a town by converting a wolf were things that spoke to me as an animal lover.  His profound love of nature and his complete love for all creation surprised me.  I loved that he had an awareness for all these things that I so loved.  And because of these small commonalities he became my friend who slowly led me from God’s creation to the Creator. 
Love my cheetah print shirt!


Saint Francis, was the first saint that I didn’t feel uncomfortable or suspicious around and that’s why to this day he’s my favorite, my special beloved saint.  Through Him, God showed me that it’s good to have holy friends and who better than the saints - that saints lead us to God, challenge us to become better people and intercede for us!  Some say we shouldn’t have favorites among the saints, but I disagree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment