Monday, September 12, 2016

Mercy In Motion: Forget About Me I Love You

At the conference I attended a couple of weeks ago, a speaker introduced a group of individuals that began a community to inspire people to take the 2016 Mercy challenge as a direct response to Pope Francis’ “Year of Mercy Jubilee.”  The group, composed of young people of all faiths, began this movement here in California because while they might differ about religious views they all agreed that the world needs more mercy.  They developed a selfless, unconditional love mission and their goal is to “provide a simple practical way to show mercy to fellow human beings.”  Using the corporal works of mercy they developed a bracelet system as a reminder to live out God’s Mercy and a way to accrue monetary help to feed the homeless in the Santa Monica region.  For a small donation, Mercy in Action will send you eight bracelets one with their slogan F.A.M.I.L.Y. (Forget About Me I Love You) and the other seven with an Act of Mercy to be performed.  You always wear the F.A.M.I.L.Y. black bracelet so that if people are curious about its significance you can begin a conversation about mercy with others; and one blue bracelet with the act to perform, which serves as a reminder of your goal.  Once you have performed the act you pass on that specific bracelet to someone else (to continue the chain of mercy) and you wear the next Act of Mercy bracelet until you complete all seven.  For someone with such a scattered brain as myself I think the bracelets will definitely help remind me of my call to service.  I have attached the website in case you are interested, go and check it out- we still have a few months of the jubilee (smile).

This process reminded me that we all need to show people love and kindness even though sometimes showing our feelings might feel scary because we are opening ourselves to hurt. Many of you probably don’t need the bracelet system.  My mom and dad are the most loving and serviceable people, I know.  They help people everywhere and are never embarrassed to offer help.  When we go to Mexico to visit grandma my mom will constantly talk to the poorest of the poor and give alms without fear of offending. For me fear of offending others or of rejection many times keeps me from offering my services or showing kindness.  Service makes us vulnerable, it places us at a lower position to the other – it really is “forget about me, I love you.”  Yet, that’s what Jesus constantly teaches us, a great example is when he washes the feet of his friends.  That act was extremely radical when he performed it and it still is because our culture hasn’t changed it still teaches us to aim for power, fame and money.  As Christians who live in the world – it’s extremely hard to remove that conditioning and to live 24/7 in a spirit of humility, a spirit of mercy.  That’s why I bought the set of bracelets- to help remind me of my place in life- the lowest of the lowest and to help me put aside my fears.  I have a long way to sanctity, but God continues to provide assistance to keep me in the path full of hope for my conversion.  I often think that when Jesus said, “let the dead take care of the dead,” he might have been saying leave your old self behind and follow me each day little by little.  He doesn’t expect great things from us, for He is GREAT and He loves us as we are.  Yet, even the small tasks He gives us sometimes can be so challenging, like living mercy. BUT- like Saint Paul said, “I can do ALL things through CHRIST who strengthens me.”     

No comments:

Post a Comment