Monday, May 16, 2016

The Rosary: A Change of Heart

May is the month of Mary and a great time to pray and reflect on the rosary.  In Mexico, when people die a novena is prayed for the soul of the departed using the rosary as part of the nine day prayer.  My mother’s mom died when I was around five-years-old, and it was a very sad time for the family.  I remember everyday women would gather at my grandmother’s house to pray and for the longest time I associated the rosary with death.  The repetitive manner and the length of it also made it quite boring.  As I grew up, my dislike for the rosary only increased.  When my brother passed away and ladies began gathering at my house to pray the novena, I would purposely leave to avoid hearing the sound of death…  Later, when I lived my first retreat, I was given this tacky-green-glow-in-the-dark rosary.  During this time I used to have horrible nightmares most nights.  This rosary became my shield.  When I would wake up in sweats from the terrible dreams I would find my plastic beads and hold them clenched in my fist.  Though, I didn’t know how to pray just holding the beads near my heart made me fall back asleep free from night terrors.  It wasn’t until 2007 when I joined the prayer ministry of Jovenes Para Cristo that the rosary started to change in my eyes.  I remember being cloistered in a room with the Blessed Sacrament and my prayer warriors.  We were told that we would begin by praying the rosary and though I cringed at the idea, while I knelt in front of my Lord (new beads in hand) I closed my eyes and the surprising sound of strumming on a guitar began.  Before each mystery we would pause offering it for a particular intention, slowly meditating on Jesus and a hymn would be sung.  Combining music with the rosary turned this prayer of death into a celebration of life.  The strumming on the guitar and the simple Spanish lyrics that accompanied each station spoke profoundly to my soul- I had found the way that the rosary was meant to be prayed.  That weekend, my love for the devotion began.  While, God knew I needed the joyful music to change my attitude towards this classic prayer eventually I learned to love it just as is.  Today, I try to pray it daily and many times when I can’t express myself in words the rosary does the talking for me.  It’s a very sensual prayer: the feeling of the beads in my fingers help me focus, the repetitive words create a beautiful, melodic rhythm and the images each mystery provides brings me into the presence of God.  It’s a very powerful prayer and once I learned to appreciate it, I realized that the length is just right.

If you find yourself initially having difficulty enjoying the prayer give it time to transform you.  I promise, the Holy Spirit will eventually win you over (smile).  In closing, Pope Leo XIII said, “the rosary is the most excellent form of prayer and the most efficacious means of attaining eternal life.  It is a remedy for all our evils, the root of all our blessings.  There’s no more excellent way of praying.”  Though, I needed a conversion in learning to appreciate the rosary – I truly am aware of its power and encourage you to press on.  After all, not all saints “begin well, but they all ended well,” (smile).    

No comments:

Post a Comment