Thursday, May 26, 2016

As Seen on Celebrities: Molly Lansing Lucky Brand White Daisies Embroidered Top

My thrifted top as seen in General Hospital!

When I was twenty-years-old I remember telling my therapist that I was a great listener, but didn’t like sharing things about myself because I felt like people wouldn’t be interested in what I had to say.  The only people that I would reveal things to were those in my inner circle because I knew that as odd as I was they loved me and accepted me.  I think when one grows up in a chaotic home it’s very typical to feel quite abnormal, freakish almost.  I was also an anomaly in my extended family, the only one pursuing good grades and a college degree so often I was classified as “white washed” because I was also in higher courses at school.  Being in the college advance classes made me have friends that were all ethnicities because those were the students in my classes.  These friendships gave me a new perspective on life.  Nevertheless, I was constantly told by some members outside my immediate family why I tried so hard if in the end I was going to end up pregnant and dropping out of high school.  I felt like instead of supporting me they wanted to see me fail.  So, I began to internalize things and not share much.  I felt that if I kept silent then maybe I would be accepted…  Until one day I realized that even though I was different in the choices that I made and things that I liked- I was still very much human and loveable.  I learned and came to understand that if someone doesn’t like or accept me, I will be ok.  I am sharing this with you today because I have been doing these pieces here on my shopping secondhand and was told not to share about my deals because “people” might misinterpret my posts thinking that I always buy cheap, that everything I own is used and heaven forbid that I gift others secondhand items.  Yet, I am comfortable sharing my deals and can’t control what others will think of me.  To me scoring thrifted items is fun, smart and I have no shame in sharing because I never pay retail (smile)! 

 I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Flower Power: Even my Jewlery is flowered inspired!

I have always been a nerd, uncool in so many ways and while growing up I gave in to the naysayers, I am a grown up now and this is me unapologetically.  I thrift, read books, suck at dating, love period pieces, have a weakness for classics, am a traditional Catholic woman… When I find something at the thrift store I go home and do research on how much it retailed and get a high realizing my savings!  Recently, I started this blog segment “As Seen on Celebrities” because I have found used items that have made an appearance in the famous world- I mean can I get nerdier than that… I think I can (smile).  Today’s Lucky Brand white daisies embroidered top has been featured in an episode of “General Hospital” worn by actress, Molly Lansing.  Though a typical Mexican is an avid soap opera viewer, I do not watch telenovelas whether in English or Spanish.  I strictly found Lansing wearing the top during my price research.  The nerdy part, is that I found the top at a five dollar rack at Savers, but it came in a size triple X which is way too big for me, but I loved the embroidery so much that I bought it anyway.  When I got home, I took it apart and with my mom’s help cut the excess and sewed it back up perfectly sized for me.  Yep, I sew too…  I once heard Matt Damon say in one of his movies, “I always thought it would be better, to be a fake somebody than a real nobody,” and for many years I thought that quote had a ring of truth.  Now, I know that God created me and you in such a special, original way that we owed it to ourselves, to our society and to our Creator to be authentic (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment