Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day: Three Women Who Have Had The Biggest Impact on My Faith

In the spirit of Mother’s Day I would like to share three women who have inspired and encouraged my faith walk.  After all a saint cannot become a saint alone and God created us to live in community - in relationship with one another so that together we would become invincible in Christ.  My family is my strength, but also my weakness.  We are very close, when I am down they all come to my rescue and when they hurt I ache with them.  That’s the thing about love that if you’re open to it you’re also exposed to some of the most excruciating pain.  In the end, with God love is able to endure all (smile)...
First, my mother.  I am definitely a momma’s girl.  Growing up, I was more than seven years apart from my siblings which meant that my mother became my playmate.  I have so many fond memories of us pretending to play house, of her nursing me when I was ill, of her making me pretty dresses and of her being a lioness when someone tried to hurt her cub.  She’s also the one responsible for passing down our Catholic faith.  When I received my first communion she did everything possible to make my day memorable and to this day receiving my Eucharistic Sacrament is one of the best days of my life.  She came from a really poor family, when she received her First Communion she borrowed a dress from a Good Samaritan and her sister stole some fuchsia shoes so that mom would have dress shoes on her big day.  Together the two sisters painted the shoes white and during the celebration pieces of the white paint came off revealing the hot pink shoes.  She told me this story laughing while she dressed me in a fine communion ensemble.  Years later when I left the church and became agnostic (even with my rude, insulting comments about religion) she continued to press the importance of faith and of having God in my life.  Patiently, she prayed for me and patiently she accepted me lost, confused and with baggage of hurt.  While I experimented with all types of religions she encouraged me to continue seeking God. When I returned to the Catholic faith she rejoiced like the father of the prodigal son.  Today, I see her retrieve to her room daily to pray the rosary and spend time with God.  When she travels the first thing she does is find a parish to thank God for the good trip.  At night she prays for all of us, including many people that have asked her to pray for them.  And every Sunday the two of us head together to Mass, sometimes I have to attend English services to accommodate my schedule and though she doesn’t understand much she leaves that church glowing.  Her motto is, “God place in my path those you want me to help today.”
Second, my paternal grandma.  She’s the only grandmother I have known since my maternal one died when I was very young.  I have come to love and appreciate her more as an adult, because to be honest growing up I didn’t have much of a relationship with her because I thought she was too old and we didn’t have anything in common.  When I was in elementary and sometimes kids would get pulled out of class by their grandparents for a day of fun- I would be so jealous because my grandparents never did anything that cool.  Since, we usually took care of my grandparents when they visited from Mexico I grew up thinking that they were quite useless.  I had come to accept the mentality that old people deserved to be in old people’s homes- they were disposable.  But as I returned to my faith, God clearly asked me to tend my garden and that included my old grandparents.  The only one remaining was my grandmother.  So, I began having a relationship with her.  I spoke with her on the phone now and when she came to visit I began to spend time with her and get to know her.  She loves going to Mass and church functions with me- so God has really brought us together.  As I got to know her, I truly enjoyed our time together.  She’s a great conversationalist and really knows her theology!  Sometimes I am astounded by her spiritual knowledge.  It’s exciting to see her get so animated about all matters of faith- she loves staying with us when she is in the U.S. because she gets to join us for Mass every Sunday.  And don’t think of leaving mass before the blessing because she will give you a very thorough sermon about why one needs to stay until the end of the Eucharistic Service.  On Saturday, I took her to the Trinity Broadcasting Center and she was like a kid in Disneyland, she loved the Christian artwork and she knew many stories behind each piece.  She really inspires me to live life excited about God, to see Him daily in ordinary things and to seek Him daily for nourishment.

Finally, Mother Mary.  Coming from a protestant point-of-view it was tough to change my anti-Mary views when I returned to the Catholic Church.  I was afraid that if I paid too much attention to the mother of Jesus, he would get mad because I was idolizing her.  Gradually, God showed me that loving His mother was like loving Him.  He chose her for a very special mission and loves her in a very special way.  Slowly, I came to understand that ignoring her or belittling her, hurt God because I was mistreating His mother.  I realized that if someone claimed to love me, but would ignore and belittle my mom I would have a hard time believing his sentiments.  Slowly, change in me towards the Mother of our Church happened and now she’s my momma.  I turn to her when I am in a jam and I love praying the rosary with her.  My favorite novena is “Mary Undoer of Knots,” I pray it often.  I love Marian songs too.  Most importantly, I love having Mary as a model to follow.  I want to one day be able to say with complete trust and sincerity, “I am the servant of the Lord, let it be according to your word.”                     

No comments:

Post a Comment