Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Forty Days of Thank You's

From the deacon who blessed my doggie!

There’s so much I don’t know about my Catholic faith, there’s things that I have a protestant understanding and there are other areas that I have no clue at all.  It’s popular during Lent to give things up, it’s a time of conversion of shedding the old to make room for the new.  I get the importance of trying to change old habits to become a better me; yet, I still have a lot of questions about fasting.  Am not sure how fasting helps me become a better version of me, but I know that just as I have been converted in other areas I will soon have a eureka moment- that clears things for me.  Thus, this past Lent I wanted to do something that made my forty days special and made sense to me.  I thought about the many times I have wanted to thank my religious leaders, but never made the time.  So, during my forty days of Lent I wrote each day a thank you card for priests, religious and deacons who during the year I had a reason to say gracias.  First, I didn’t think I knew that many church leaders to cover the forty days, but every day during prayer the Holy Spirit helped inspire a new person to thank.  Writing to me is very personal and each note that I hand wrote I tried to make it as unique to that person as possible.  I never thought of the outcome of such a small gesture.  However, one must be careful when doing things for others because God will never leave a server empty handed.  It’s as if the more one gives of oneself the more one receives. 
From my bishop, he made me feel so important!
From one of the deacons.

As the forty days went by, I got a couple emails expressing their gratitude for my little note.  When I bumped into one of the deacon’s I sent a note to, he told me how much my note made his day since his job can be quite a thankless position.  Another deacon’s wife came up to me and told me how cheerful her husband had been at my note and she thanked me for making her husband’s day.  Then, I got a couple of notes in my mailbox thanking me for my thank you note!  I almost didn’t want to continue sending notes because I was getting such a positive response.  It was just surprising to receive so much when I felt I gave so little.  Yet, people who serve (as do our church leaders) are usually people that know how to be grateful and they have a server mentality where it is easy for them to give- even as a response to a gift to them.  I really enjoyed working on the thank you notes and might adapt this process as an annual Lenten activity.  Though, to be honest all the fuss I got made me a little uncomfortable since I don’t do well when so much attention is lavished on me, especially over my writing.  I had wanted to write this post for a while, but kept forgetting.  Over the weekend, I received my latest thank you card for one of my Lenten thank you notes and it reminded me that I needed to write this.  Maybe you’re not surprised by the positive feedback I got, but I was really shocked.  I just had never gotten a thank you for my thank you (smile).   It made the image I have of my church leaders even more impressive- we have a lot of saints in the making all around us! 


No comments:

Post a Comment